Goat house requirements

Jeanne Sheridan

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi,
I am wanting to get goats one day, and I want to start preparing a place for them to live. I want to get Pygmy goats or Nigerian dwarfs.
I raise chickens also, and they need certain things in their coop, such as a roost and nesting boxes.
Do goats have a requirement for their house? Like do they have to have places built for them to sleep?
Also, what are the indoor space requirements for a small breed of goat?
Thank you!
We live in the Pacific NW so we have winters though they are not as cold as yours. During the winter we close our herd of Nubians in at night along with their guard llama. The reasons are two fold. 1. Protection from large predators that we have in the area. Twice we've found cougar tracks in the snow circling the barn when we go to let them out in the morning. 2. By closing them in we are able to keep the temperature up compared to outside. In the warmer months we leave the barn open at night but have the gates in the 5' fence around the barn yard and pasture are closed to keep out coyotes.During the summer we also have windows in the first floor of our barn that open to just chicken wire covering. It gives us great air flow without the possibility of predator ingress.

Latest posts