Goat Housing--plastic shed?

Julia

Just born
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm getting my two mini Nubians in 3 days. I've been going crazy trying to figure out housing. I think I've settled on a 6x8 plastic shed from Costco, for 500. My question is--will they chew a plastic shed? I've never had goats before. I'd like to do a less expensive housing option, but we have sooo many coyotes (hungry ones) on our property that I need something really secure and fast! Does this sound like good goat housing to all you knowledgable folks? I will be putting in a good fence. Any feedback/other housing ideas would be really appreciated! Thanks!

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Boy goats like to head butt things and push things around.... boy AND girl goats like to rub their entire body against things..... a plastic shed will end up getting pushed around the pasture LOL weigh it down with a bunch of cinder blocks

We had a big old wooden dog house... that a neighbor gave us... it was large enough for both of my adult bucks to stand in. I had it in my buck yard. and every day it was in a different location LOL and then they figured out how to roll it :) it ended up in the burn pile :)

Julia

Just born
Reaction score
This shed is HEAVY, though, 6x8x7. At least a few hundred pounds, and I'm getting two does. Will they really push it around? I like the cinder block idea though, even if I don't need them for the shed I'm sure I can find some use for them...

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Is it this one? http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...275&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C Doesn't look like it would hold up to goats to me, even does. It is only 200# total weight. Do you have any building skills? We made a sturdy A-frame for our pigs and it is holding up great for a second season, and cost about $150 in materials last year and two partial days of barely skilled labor. http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4831&p=8 Scroll down for pics. It is a good temporary solution and would make a great weaning house for kids later, or shelter for a pasture that is not connected to the main barn/shed.

In some places you can buy a used calf hut for a reasonable price, like $200.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have been using the calf nursery hut for years, here is a link to what it looks like. They have held up very well.

http://www.polydome.com/calf_nursery.html

If you are using them for kidding or babies, or smaller goats they would need a notch cut out to make the front a little lower, but don't cut all the way down, it will ruin the support of the hut.

glbedrosian

Just born
Reaction score
Has anyone used these PolyDome calf huts to house their goats (two Nigerian Dwarf) as their winter housing in a northern state such as New Hampshire?

I'm wondering if they are truly warm enough for the goats in our winter climate......

Also, if anyone has any "Pro's" and/or "Con's" about using these PolyDome calf huts as their goat barn, please let me know.

Thank you!

Julia

Just born
Reaction score
I'm also really curious. Additionally, where can one buy a calf hut? I can't find them for sale online anywhere.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
The other thing that would concern me with plastic is it getting too hot. If you have a big coyote problem and need to lock them up at night, then the calf hutches would not be ideal. Is there some way you could haul a shed or have the know how to take apart a shed and put it back up? I see plenty of older sheds on Craigslist. Then you would have something more solid and the wood would be better against heat. Then you could also add windows.

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Julia said:
Alright, so I'm getting my two mini Nubians in 3 days. I've been going crazy trying to figure out housing. I think I've settled on a 6x8 plastic shed from Costco, for 500. My question is--will they chew a plastic shed? I've never had goats before. I'd like to do a less expensive housing option, but we have sooo many coyotes (hungry ones) on our property that I need something really secure and fast! Does this sound like good goat housing to all you knowledgable folks? I will be putting in a good fence. Any feedback/other housing ideas would be really appreciated! Thanks!
I use plastic calf hutches. they work amazing

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have 10 of them, They are designed to stay cool in the summer and warmer in the winter, that is the whole point of them.
Ordering them will be a little trickier, you may get lucky and find used onse, that is how we got ours. but otherwise you have to talk to your feedstores, or contact the maker of the huts and ask about shipping or dealers in your area.

I have no idea what a new one costs.

We do keep some goats in them all winter long, or I should say that is the only shelter they have in the field with them all winter long, so if it snows, we put their hay and feed in the hut, dig a path to the water for them.

The biggest problem I have had with them is I have used them for kidding and newborns, and you have to put blocks on the inside and outside so the babies can climb over the front edge, You can't cut away the front edge, it will ruin the strength of the structure.