1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hay Baler - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Goat Housing--plastic shed?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Goats' started by Julia, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Sep 14, 2011
    20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill True BYH Addict

Manybirds: you live in Wisconsin right? Are you using the calf huts in the winter as well?

2. Sep 14, 2011
    Goatherd

Goatherd Overrun with beasties

If you type "calf hutch" into your search engine, several sites come up as to who sells them along with prices. Be prepared, they're not cheap if you buy them new. The most basic and smallest one starts around $250 plus shipping. The price goes up significantly if you buy the more deluxe models as well as larger sizes.

If you have a dairy supply dealer in your area, they often times carry them.

I was interested in getting one or two for my goats shelter in the pasture during the day. I put an ad on Craigslist's Farm and Garden and only got two responses. Both people sent pictures of dilapidated calf hutches and they wanted big bucks for them. Needless to say, I didn't buy them.

I went with a vinyl/resin shed for their "day house," and they go into the barn at night. The shed has held up very well and they do nothing to it to damage or chew it. Three full size adults use this as well as two kids. It's only 8ft x 8ft, but again, it's only for protection from the elements during the day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Sep 15, 2011
    manybirds

manybirds Loving the herd life

we got ours from a dairy suply company in our area. they're forsale on craigslist fairly often.......although living in wisconsin dairy suplies are pretty easy to come by here.

4. Sep 15, 2011
    manybirds

manybirds Loving the herd life

yes and yes

5. Sep 16, 2011
    peachick

peachick Loving the herd life

Im in Maryland and we recently had an earthquake and a hurricane.. both in the same week!!
    The hurricane took out the goat shed I use for the girls and kids.

This is what I have rigged up for them.... $300 car port at Sams Club... an old roll of fencing... a couple livestock panels, and a bunch of those green stick in the ground fence posts..... We put it up last Saturday. Easy and cheep! it should last a couple years before another hurricane rips it up....

[​IMG]
    DSC_0002 by S!GNATURE, on Flickr

6. Sep 16, 2011
    savingdogs

savingdogs Overrun with beasties

My goats would LOVE that, peachick. They love to have a place to stand out of the rain and it rains a lot where I am.

My goats are mini nubians and we have large dog houses that have been adapted for goat use. When we added more goats, we added more dog houses. They are similar to little sheds and lean-tos. There isn't room to MILK in them however, so our milking area is in a totally different place (in our laundry room).

7. Sep 16, 2011
    SuburbanFarmChic

SuburbanFarmChic Overrun with beasties

You can find damaged carports for free pretty frequently on Craigslist. If you know the basics of how they put together you can Frankenstein a pretty decent shelter from a broken one. Especially if the roof tarp is still intact. It seems that most times snow weight will collapse all/some of the legs but if you use just the roof portion it's a good shade shelter or hay storage. It's what we used for the pot bellies while they were here.

8. Sep 17, 2011
    Ms. Research

Ms. Research Herd Nerd On A Mission

Know about that hurricane/earthquake deal. Same here happened in New Jersey. The setup looks pretty good. Hope your girls and kids are enjoying their new enclosure. :)

9. Sep 18, 2011
    peachick

peachick Loving the herd life

thanks guys. When we lost the goats shelter. I was thinking it was time to build something really ncie for them.... and then I looked at the expense. LOL I opted for a this temporary shelter for now while I save for a new barn :) Hubby used one of these canvas car ports for an old boat and it lasted about 6 years.

10. Sep 18, 2011
    that's*satyrical

that's*satyrical Loving the herd life

We are going to use a steel chain link enclosure with an xtra thick tarp spread over the top & sides. We are in Georgia though so winters are mild here compared to some. I think it will be good for keeping the predators out though & I can easily close them in at night.