goat in labor how long does it last

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My prayers are with AB and you. Please keep us updated. :hugs :fl

redtailgal

Reaction score
Goodness, I hope that you get a baby out of this.

Hang in there!

:fl

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It was a baby boy. It had been dead for sometime. She is full of infection. He cleaned her up but did not want to spay her because of the infection. They won't know if the baby died and it caused the infection or she got a uterine infection and the baby died. I am prepared to let her go. He wants to wait on blood work, but I know it won't be good news. I am just beside myself and I don't know what went wrong. I love my AB so much, she was just a good girl with a beautiful goaty smile.

SDBoerGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh Melissa, I am SOO SORRY! I hope she pulls through this. Good thing they got the dead baby out and good for you for jumping in and taking care of her like you did. I hope you don't lose her......:(

redtailgal

Reaction score
aw hun.

Wait on the bloodwork.

I was ready to put my lil dog down not so long ago, but the bloodwork that the doc talked me into revealed that it really wasnt so bad. That lil dog is sittin in my lap today cuz of the bloodwork.

:hugs

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am still praying for her and you. I agree wait for the bloodwork. I am so sorry you are going through this.

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She's in her stall with her head laying on a pillow. She is doing good, but looks really swollen. They said it's because of the way she's laying, flat out. They are watching her to make sure she is still breathing and the blood work came back not too bad, but with the surgery and opening her up. The vet said we will know better in 12 to 24 hours. They are giving her calcium because she is low and later she might give some oxytocin to help contract her uterus down. I'll post more updates as I find out more. Thanks guys for all your support. It's been a hard decision as to let her go or try and save her.

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She is up and ate a little alfalfa hay. She drank a little too. She was walking around a bit and you could tell that she is just so tired and painful. She is sitting like a dog in the corner resting her head on the wall because her tummy is sore and can't lay down comfortably, makes sense to me.

I am hopeful, she wanted to follow me out the door and was upset when I wouldn't let her. They are going to give her some more banamine later and the oxytocin. The vet wanted her to eat a little before giving the banamine because it suppresses the appetite. She needs to keep up her energy and keep the guts working.

The key part of this, I am hopeful. :)