Goat is Scouring, NOW WHAT????

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
this post needs to be kept somewhere on here for fast finding.!! I'd like to see it stay at the top of the page so it doesnt' get lost in all the post, It has some very inportant info and to make it easy to find when we have problems. Is this possible??? Like a sticky!!!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Another alternative / addition to the drench could be crushed alfalfa pellets and quick oats (if they don't have creamed corn on hand). Our vet told me years ago that a goat w/ nothing in it's stomach for 24 hrs will soon be a dead goat, their rumens have to stay busy on something...and the more fiber, the better.

I mixed the crushed alf. pellets w/ oats, sweet feed that I'd soaked in water overnight to 'dissolve' it into a mush, gatoraide and pancake syrup for energy / electrolytes, and fiber. I cut the tip off a 60cc syringe and gave it that way. I also squirted 5cc of B vitamin and probios into the mix. I'd give 5 - 60cc syringes every 6-8 hrs along w/ as much water as they'd take.

(One goat had tetanus, the other had listeriosis and neither could eat on their own for several days.)

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We are going to move it to the diseases, injuries and cures section for quick viewing.

Just working on editing it.

And making sure anyone who wants to add something knows they can.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
poorboys said:
this post needs to be kept somewhere on here for fast finding.!! I'd like to see it stay at the top of the page so it doesnt' get lost in all the post, It has some very inportant info and to make it easy to find when we have problems. Is this possible??? Like a sticky!!!
20kidsonhill said:
We are going to move it to the diseases, injuries and cures section for quick viewing.
It is listed in the Diseases, Injuries & Cures Index - Goats in the Emergencies forum.

It can also be accessed in the Diseases - Goats forum under the sticky In case of emergency ~ Goat which will direct you to the Diseases, Injuries & Cures Index

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have raised goats for nearly 20 years & I have found every bit of this information very helpful & have used most of these remedies over the years. I will add, the molasses is a great dietary source of iron & is one of the greatest sources of iron. That's why it is used in some feeds with the added benefit of being a good binder holding feed ingredients together. Molasses is also a good energy source, but too much of a good thing is also bad as far as goats getting too much sugary feed stuffs.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It is good for goat producers to have a couple of, "Goat kits" as I call them, on hand for such emergencies such as scours or birthing emergencies. I have 2 used medium sized tool boxes that I have converted for goat use. One is my kidding kit which includes clean dry cotton rags, iodine, KY jelly, exam gloves, an I'V set-up with either NS or LR (I am a nurse/ EMT-IV) to give warm fluids to a chilled kid. I also have a number of other meds & other items that I have learned is essential either by experience or by reading such informative websites such as this. I also have a kit especially for scours which includes some of the previously mentioned items by other posters.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
In a kid under a week old I would not expect it to be parasitic in origin. I'll paste a few articles here for you to read.

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/#!scours/c1omi
E. Coli
E. coli scours is an opportunistic disease associated with sloppy environmental conditions and poor sanitation. It is seen in lambs and kids less than 10 days of age, but is most common at 1 to 4 days of age. It usually presents itself as an outbreak in lambs and kids between 12 and 48 hours of age. It is also called "watery mouth," because affected lambs salivate and have a cold mouth. Fluid therapy is the mainstay of therapy.
Antibiotics are used for both treatment and prevention of E. coli scours in lambs. Spectinomycin oral pig scours medicine is commonly used, though it is not approved for sheep and goats. Ewes and does can be vaccinated with bovine E. coli vaccine before they give birth to increase passive immunity. The use of neomycin in lambs that appear normal may stop the progression of the outbreak. Adequate ingestion of colostrum by newborns decreases the incidence of the disease.

Rotavirus
Lambs and kids are infected with a group of B rotaviruses, whereas most other animals and humans are infected with group A rotoviruses. Rotavirus generally causes diarrhea in lambs and kids at 2 to 14 days of age. Young animals become very depressed and dehydrated.

Rotavirus is treated with supportive care. Vaccinating ewes and does with bovine rotavirus vaccines before they give birth will increase passive immunity. Viruses tend to be less a cause of diarrhea in lambs and kids than calves

http://goat-link.com/content/view/50/92/#.VzDKvaMo7cs

E Coli
The most common reason for scours in kids. Other symptoms include; sever depression, weakness, and dehydration. Confirmation of disease can be verified by culture of the bacteria. This is another problem of unclean surroundings. Overcrowding and unkempt pens are commonly the culprit. Treatment is aggressive. Replace fluids and electrolyte loss, kill the organism with antibiotics specifically for this organism, clean enviroment. Replace milk with electrolyte formula for 24 hours. Neomycin, tetracycline and sulfa drugs are common medications for treatment.

Sandy christen

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well he has a snorting nose and is breathing out his mouth what can I feed him