Goat Just Kidded, Diarrhea

goatbarn25

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a doe that kidded yesterday, she had quadruplets. When I went to check on her, one of the babies died during birth. Anyways, today I noticed that she isn't letting her babies nurse (at least when I'm watching her) and she had diarrhea. What should I do?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
First check her udder to be sure the teats are not plugged. Get colostrum into the kids....hopefully they'll latch onto mom. Feel kids tummies to see if rounded, indicating they nursed.

Her diarrhea may be from kidding. How bad is it? Hay should help if it's just loose poo type. If blowing out water, more help needed.

Last edited:

goatbarn25

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I noticed that the babies start to nurse, but as soon as they bump her to let down more milk, that's when she walks away, cuz otherwise she's taking care of them. And her diarrhea isn't horribly bad, but when she poops, it splats onto the ground and doesn't have a form.
And does it take a while for the babies to start taking a bottle? I have tried to give them one, but they won't take it!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
New momma, right? She doesn't yet know what's what. Hold her collar and let babies nurse. She'll get with the program after a time or two. She may be full and tender, so relieve a couple squirts to help, then put a couple in that area to search and latch on.

You normally have to force new ones to take a bottle. Once in their mouth and they suckle they will usually do ok....after a few times. Always best for them to use mom's milk bar!!

Keep us posted. Some can be hard to get started....doe and kid. I normally keep new mom and kids I own confine for a couple days to bond and learn. But have to see it's working.

goatbarn25

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She had twins last year, and took care of them just fine, I will put her in the milk stand in a little bit, and squirt out some milk, and make sure that her teats aren't clogged. She is in a birthing stall right now with her babies, my other goat that kidded the same day with triplets is doing fine.