Goat kid has lice

Melanie Moyers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have an approximately 3 week old lamancha kid goat who has been to hell and back. In the last week and a half he has overcome polio and now salmonella/ecoli. Today I noticed, he has lice. I've been reading online about ivermectin 1% injectable to get rid of them. Is this safe for him? He is around 8 pounds. He has put up such a fight so far! Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like ivermectin (injected) to control lice, but I would hesitate to use it on a kid that has had such a rough go so far. My second choice is DE (food grade diatomacious earth) carefully rubbed into the coat all over except for the face, avoid breathing the dust and try not to get it in kids eyes or nose, and keep kid from inhaling it if possible. You can us DE in bedding to help with control and prevention. It can be used with shavings for bedding. Once he is strong and healthy, you can use the ivermectin for better control.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do not care for injectables because unless you know if they are burrowing or not it may not be effective. There are burrowing and non-burrowing mites and lice. Lice typically are non-burrowing.
Topicals IMO are best as they treat both whereas injecatbles do not.
IF there is a reaction not much you can do with injecatable but topical you can at least go and rinse rinse rinse.

For a kid that young- IMO- (We just disbudded a ladies 2 Nigies and they had lice too so you aren't the only one out there)
Permethrins 10% concentrate it is also ON LABEL - in other words labeled for use on goats. Most products are off label for goats and need Veterinarian approval.

Mix it with water according to directions.

For a baby goat I would take the mixed solution, pour a little in a container, add dish soap. Wet the kid doen ( inside in your tub or sink) with warm water.... bathe with solution. Rinse with warm water. Pour remaining solution over kid (the one with no soap).
Let stand on kid for a few minutes then towel dry real well.
After towel dry blow dry and put in dog crate or something and put kid back out after you know he is bone dry!

Meantime, bedding needs replaced. DE as mentioned above needs to be put down and fresh bedding. Problem is if you have a lot of other goats they all need treated too.

Injectables may be a good approach for a large herd where you cannot, due to wether, bathe them... but for a little kid like this I would bathe.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use Synergized Lice No More.
I used to mix the Permethrins concentrate, but this is easier.
You apply as a pour on, 7 mil per 50lbs down their back.
This was recommended by a friend who is an animal science professor and she uses it on her goats too.

I mix the Permethrins concentrate at a higher concentration than to put on an animal and spray the floors, walls, and bedding.

https://jet.com/product/detail/eb62...a:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=_kenshoo_clickid_

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use Synergized Lice No More.
I used to mix the Permethrins concentrate, but this is easier.
You apply as a pour on, 7 mil per 50lbs down their back.
This was recommended by a friend who is an animal science professor and she uses it on her goats too.

I mix the Permethrins concentrate at a higher concentration than to put on an animal and spray the floors, walls, and bedding.

https://jet.com/product/detail/eb62...a:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=_kenshoo_clickid_

How safe do you think it is for baby goats?
Thanks for the info. Anything easier is good! ;)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@OneFineAcre - forgot to ask... may be in the info just did a quick glance... what is milk withdrawal? That is one reason I do the Permethrin... 24 hours ( some say 1 milkings worth).

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was told to use poultry dust on my babies. The ivermectin stings like heck.

Last edited: