Goat Kidding?

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a 14 month old doe who is due for her first kidding any day. She has had pre kidding prolapse. Yesterday she had what looked like pink discharge by her tail. Sometimes I thought I heard her pushing but now I'm not sure. She feels very open. When I push on her skin just above her tail by her ligaments (those pencil shaped things) it sounds like air escapes. She has not been very interested in feed, only a little bit lately. She drank water for me this morning. I just lost a doe with ring womb and I really don't want to lose this one. Am I just being paranoid or is she just in the process. Might here be a problem here? This particular doe is a heavier almost a hundred percent Boer

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You might want a vet...after what you just experienced...to check her. If she's ready he can reassure all is ok or give med to help her along.

Seems your having a difficult kidding year. Hard to help from afar. But you don't want a repeat.

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I took her to the vet, she had ring womb. The vet said she was too full of infection and a c section might not save her. The vet said her kid was dead and the most humane thing was to euthanize her. We euthanized her. This is the second case of ring womb I have had this week. We still have two more does to kid the vet suggested giving the goats a shot of BoSe which might help prevent it. Has any one dealt with this before.? Any other suggestions that can help prevent or catch it right away? This last doe was so fast, she did not whimper. Just slight decrease in feed intake, I thought she was too afraid of her fellow goats to eat. But she did eat yesterday and drank water by herself today.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh my goodness - you are having a rough go this year. Two cases of ring womb is very odd. I'd definitely go with the BoSe.

I'm so sorry you lost another one. :hugs

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Is it okay to give BoSe to goats that might kid within a day or two?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes! If the vet thinks that might help and you have goats due soon - I'd definitely give it now so it has time to give them some benefit. Good luck!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Give her/them the BoSe...I mean, you've just had terrible experiences with two. Can't be any worse than that, IMO.

I am so sorry. So far, I've never had this issue. These are traumatic losses. :hugs :hugs

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Selenium deficiency is considered to be a contributing factor, but the condition is not fully understood. Its exact cause is unknown, though it is believed to …

Ringwomb is best described as the failure of the cervix to dilate sufficiently during parturition in order to promote delivery of the lambs.Jan 16, 2014

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Has any one used BoSe on goats going to kid in a few days? The only thing that made me nervous was the fact that it says on the bottle, do not use on pregnant ewes it may cause abortions. I haven't asked the vet about that yet. But when I researched online, it sounds like other farmers used it four to six weeks before. Just curious if any of you have used it close to kidding.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
No. I have not. But simply didn't need it.

Do you have any BOSS? Sunflower seeds have a fair amount of selenium. I use it year round, top dressing feed. Brazil nuts may have the most selenium of any thing else I'm aware of. I understand your concern with the BoSe. You're between a rock and a hard place to dose or have two more in trouble. Maybe feed 3 Brazil to each every morning or 1/2 cup BOSS am&pm. You can overdose, so don't free choice it.

How soon are they due?

Last edited: