Goat library, which book to choose.....

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm ordering some new school books for the kids and going to tack on a "treat" book for myself (actually, we're going to have my oldest kids reading it too - then they can put a chalk mark under agricultrual science, EVERTHING get's catagorized under some school subject, LOL!) - the two I'm wanting are "Natural Goat Care" and "The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable". I've heard both are very good *must haves* for those travelling the more natural path - if you had to chose just one to start with, which one would you get?

msjuris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
WOW, I was just pondering this same question. Someone brought up Juliette Levy (The "handbook" author) in another post, so I went on Amazon and found both books: Natural Goat Care and The Complete Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable. Both authors are well known and respected in the field of herbal medicine for animals; they have been practicing what they are preaching for several decades and the reviews for both books are good. I couldn't decide, so I put both books in my shopping cart and walked away to debate with myself over which one to choose.

Hopefully someone who has read both will chime in and help resolve the dilema.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That's funny :lol: Both are in my cart at Amazon as well while I contemplate which one to get!

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you're looking just for a natural care sort of book than this doesn't fit the bill, but I wouldn't be without "Goat Medicine" (Smith, Sherman.) It has been an excellent resource.

msjuris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh my, now I have to add another one to my list. I don't know about 7wonders, but I'm a bibliophile. For me, books are more of an addiction than a hobby.

Now I'm on the search for a used copy of Goat Medicine. I don't think I can justify a $150 book without first having filled my husband's belly with goat milk, yogurt and cheese.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep - that's on my list - but a bit out of my price range right now. Eventually I'd like to have a several go to books - both natural and conventional.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Textbooks are always expensive, but trust me, it's worth it. All the better if you can find a used copy, but I couldn't find one at the time I ordered it. I did find it brand new for around $130 though, so shop around.

The only downside is that I spent a week or so reading through it when I first got goats and I was convinced I would likely kill them before the week was out... :ep But I haven't killed any yet, luckily. Aside from reminding me of the million and one things that CAN go wrong, it's been invaluable when something HAS gone wrong.

The chapter on nutrition is fantastic as well.

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have Juliette's book and it is well worth it, Natural Goat Care is on my buy ASAP list. :D I think both have a lot to bring to the table. Juliette's book is more about treating problems while from what I have read Pat's book is more on as the title says natural goat care. :) I probably would have gotten Pat's book first, if my brother hadn't already had a copy of Juliette's book. I have to replace it for him because within a month of getting my goats I had already worn the book quite a bit... :)

Juliette's book covers a lot of livestock too, I REALLY wish she had an in depth, just for goats book. :( That would have been wonderful. But sadly she died last year.

Oh! And Kat at www.firmeadow.com is writing an herbal book, *I think* just for goats. Don't quote me on that, but I am REALLY excited about it as she studied at the School of Natural Healing, where my husband also studied, so I know her info will be great, and herbs/formulas that I am already familiar with. I was told to send her an email and ask to be notified when the book is published.

Susan Weed has an interesting article that you can find at www.dairygoatjournal.com.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Kat is a former customer of mine, when she lived in Washington - she moved to Oregon a few years ago, I wish I had gotten to know her before she moved. By the time my thoughts started moving towards goats she was moving south. I've been to her site recently and saw the goat book info - hoping it comes out sometime soon!

As for the books, I've decided to get both. I have some swag bucks that I decided to purchase Amazon cards with - both books are in my cart waiting for swagbucks to credit my gift cards to my account. I'm looking forward to them!

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would love to have known her, course I would have asked her so many questions she would have ran the other way screaming.... :p