Goat library, which book to choose.....

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day, when we had the goats ,I purchased both Pat's and Juliette's books and was fortunate to hear Pat Colby speak at a field day over 25 yrs ago now......While I follow quite a few of her concepts ,I am not 'wedded' to ALL the things she advocates...............Over the years (about 20 something)I have adapted her mineral mix to suit our sheep flock.

Juliette's book is good if you are 'hard core',but I find our problems with Barbers Pole cannot be overcome with-out Cydectin.................regards,T.O.R.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Good info, thank you! I ended up getting both books becasue I cashed in some swag bucks and got them for next to nothing and free shipping to boot - great deal! I just finished Pat's book and though I didn't read all of Juliette's book, I did read the section on goats. They were both good reads, got some good food for thought.

I like Pat's book a lot - being a goat newbie there was quite a bit of good "basic" info with drawings showing what good udders should look like, how to tell good build, etc. For someone like myself, who jumped in to goats without any real background at all it was useful info. And of course, the book is about "natural" care which was what I was looking for so I think if I had to recommend one over the other it would be Natural Goat Care by Pat Colbey.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day O7W,glad you liked Pat's book.I have not heard much of her for years now,but I understand she had some 'damm' fine dairy doe's in her day.............My first copy of Pats book was printed in 1983 its a well worn volume,I also got an updated version some years later..............The Nurb's are a nice breed ,but down here the 'gene 'pool is quite narrow or it was when we had them,and the in-breeding was producing lots of faults mostly under /over shot jaws and there natural immunity was not that great and Johne's was a real problem...............Pats mineral mix is really worth a try,we have and still use it on everything,we are just coming out of a 10 year drought and I put a lot of the success of our flock down to the mineral mix,as in the really bad years the sheep were "living on leaves",but still lambed and raised the young OK...................We think that feeding the minerals to the sheep on the way to the pasture is a good way to go,by getting the minerals 'by month' they are not forever chasing it in the feed.....Good Luck with the Girls.

.....................................................T.O.R............................

getchasome

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm so glad I read through this post!!! I've been to the book store a few times and I've not had any luck finding anything in depth about goats & their care

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have bought a couple of books, and yes they are great to have. If you are looking to save some money though, I have found that asking questions on here, is so much better. You get to talk to people that have tried what the books have said, and they know if it works or not. They can save you money. Also, I talk to a vet and goat breeders. Thank you to all the wonderful people on BYH!:hugs:bun

FarmGuru

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Are there any free ebook available ? on goat farming

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
FarmGuru said:
Have yet to find one worth while. More information and depth of information in the FAQ and posts here than anything I have ever seen in a free publication.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Good question.... If you have any other herbal remedy/medicine books, then I would say go for the Natural Goat Care.... since most herbal remedies for people work for the same things in goats, just need a slightly higher amount.

FarmGuru

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
kstaven said:
FarmGuru said:
Have yet to find one worth while. More information and depth of information in the FAQ and posts here than anything I have ever seen in a free publication.
OK there are many bits and piece here and there , I need one good book

Hickoryneck

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I love Natural Goat Care it is a fantastic book. I have The Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable an older copy with a goat on the cover it is great also but more Hard Core Natural. I also have the Goat Medicine book I don't care much for it I use it just for reference and I got it from my mom so I didn't have to pay for it! :).

If you raise chickens or ducks I highly recommend Backyard Poultry Naturally by Alanna Moore it is a good book too .

Latest posts