Goat loner

Stang7222

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just got my first 4 girls about a month ago. 2 goats are about 2 years old and 2 are just a few months.

The last few days I've noticed that one of the adults (who may be 2-3 months pregnant) has been hanging out alone in the chicken run. Not all day, just when the girls all head back to their shed (about 20 feet from the run) she hangs out standing in the corner of the run. The other girls will roam a bit, or just lay around and chew. But she just kinda stands around all by herself. At dusk she waits until the last possible minute to go into the shed to lay down. She's eating and seems otherwise healthy.

The other adult goat is a little bit of a bully but I dont think its anything out of the ordinary. The kids are very sweet and I couldn't see them being an issue.

Any ideas, suggestions, or calming words would be much appreciated.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Were the two adults purchased together, meaning from the same farm/herd? It can make a huge difference. Plus, even if they were together, the "loner" may have been on the low end of the herd standing -- maybe this wasn't her buddy. Are the young ones offspring of the other doe?

Goats have a REAL personality and best buds are very important to them. They feel the "loss" of a friend, family member, etc. Goats form a family unit and if offspring are kept, years out you will see them bedding together, eating in same groups, etc. -- EVEN if they are friendly with others in the herd.

It can make you feel guilty to sell them off, once you've witnessed this. Those who pull the kids at birth, bottle feed and milk does (as a dairy does) will not find this connection or loss issue as it never formed. Of course, some goats are more intense than others with such feelings

Stang7222

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The loner and one of the kids are from the same herd. The other adult (the boss) and the other kid were bought separately.

A new twist...

For the third time I've come out to a mess in the shed. One of the goats is "vomiting?" I think it's the "loner" bc after each time I've seen this, she makes this wierd buzzing/grinding sound in her throat that is much louder and more distinct than her usual and none of the other goats have ever made the sound. I haven't been able to pin down who keeps making this mess bc all of the goats act normal the next day and eat their sweet feed with the same enthusiasm.

Pic 1: from top to bottom. The kids, the "boss", the "loner"

Pic 2: mystery mess. Sorry for the bad photo, tough to hold still when its feeding time.
20190727_103508.jpg
20190822_061706.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had mine get into some "weeds" once and several puked them up! o_O what a mess! BUT I knew where they had been and leveled that crap. At least they have the ABILITY to do that, some animals don't.

You may want to consider a couple doses of probios for her. When their gut bacteria gets "off" they can react with all you are seeing -- even standing off from others. :idunno Just a thought. Have any beer around? They say that can help with the gut bacteria....?? I know, weird, right? But, if you aren't near a feed store -- you do something else.

Stang7222

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
After she threw up she seems to be back to normal. There is some holly in their pen so I'll pull that out. I'm 99% sure I got all of the laurel out before I got the goats and I always look for it when I'm out there.

I gave them all probiotics.