goat losing hair

honeyb12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
One of my goats is losing his hair Its coming out in clumps and he has bald patches. The skin looks grayish in color and attached to the ends of clumps of hair looks like dirty dandruff. probably about a month or so ago I bathed him and treated him for lice. And have since been putting a little DE and python powder on him, but just in certain areas (like down his back and some on his testicles). I have only applied it a couple of times and didnt use that much. He has been one that we have really babied since we have had him. He is separated from the rest of my herd, because he is lacking weight and muscle(which we are trying to remedy). i dont really know his history but I am assuming he is still pretty young, possibly under a year. He eats fine (hes a pig actually) but he is very laid back compared to the other goats. He is a really sweet boy. and I really want to do everything I can to get him healthy and running with the rest of the herd. Also I gave him 3ml of safeguard for tapeworms on Sunday night. He is approx 35#. Anybody have any ideas, what could be going on with this goat?

honeyb12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ps: His hair is course and dry, and has no sheen to it like my other goats. I just thought that might be from the DE. He has been eating Hay, a mixture of Alfalfa pellets, grain, and BOSS. Plus he free forages all day, on 4 acres.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What kind of mineral do you set out?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
What kind of mineral do you set out?
x2

In addition DE is VERY drying. I would stop using it for the time being until you can get this situation under control.

Can you post a picture?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I'd get some vitamin E (for people) and give him 2-3 of those for a couple of days. Also some Zinc tablets.

If it's a creepy-crawly outside bug issue, I would give him 1cc per 100# of ivomec, injected....it'll hurt, but it'll kill the bugs. Repeat in 14 days.

If you have access to Red Cell, give him 5cc on day 1 and 2 cc every other day for 2 wks, then 3cc 1x a week until his coat looks better.

Internal parasites can wreak havoc on a goat, as can mineral imbalance (as mentioned).

If they're not on loose mineral (mineral blocks and salt don't count, sheep mineral doesn't count (not enought copper), start them on a good goat mineral asap.

Manna Pro makes a decent one that TSC carries in an 8 or 10# bag in the goat section.
A scant handful of Black Oil Sunflower Seed daily might help, too.

honeyb12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yeah I just have a billy block out for him..but I dont think he even acknowledges it. Someone told me that they get enough minerals in the grain they eat or the stuff they eat in the pasture. He eats the chickens food also. I somewhat spoil him..he just hangs out in the yard (he is not in with the other goats). We have free range chickens, ducks , and geese. We also have a border collie and a pyrenese/collie cross that lick him and love on him as well. He is more like a dog than a goat. So i can just give him the Ivomec plus subQ? I usally feed the black oil sunflower seeds anyways with other stuff. Im still trying to figure how to post a pic. :)

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just a question, is the DE food grade? It should say that it is "Food Chemical Codex Grade". If not, you could have some real problems. DE that is not food grade, like the kind used for pools is loaded with chemicals. That just came to mind when I read your post.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Chicken feed is NOT good for goats if it is the medicated kind. And some chicken feed has arsenic in it. Keep it away from him. He needs regular minerals. He's probably not getting nearly enough. It sounds like he's got a mineral deficiency.

The advice Roll Farms gave you is good and sound.

I would suggest adding the following:

Mix the first dose of red cell and some goat minerals with some vitamin B, 1000 mg of selenium (you can get that at a health food store) about 1600 IU of Vitamin E (4 caps melted in hot water) some probiotics and some molasses with water. Put it all in a big turkey baster and put the thing in his mouth and squeeze. He will lap it all down.

On the rest of the red cell doses give him goat minerals and probiotics and 400 IU Vitamin E mixed with warm water and a little molasses. Follow the dosing directions on the goat mineral package for the daily dose but double it the first dose.

Give him a tablespoon of olive oil mixed with his feed. And throw in a couple handfuls of black oil sunflower seeds.

Also, get some mild horse shampoo with a parasite/flea/tick killer in it. Give him a bath. Don't be afraid to scrub him well with a wash cloth or a soft brush. You need to debride all the dead flaky skin and dander. Use nice warm water and warm water to rinse him down. Then towel him down good. He will probably be completely naked when you are done and you will feel like poo looking at him, but it will be good for his skin. Make sure he is dry.

If he is bald after his bath and if it is very sunny where you are, keep him out of the sun for a day or two and let him out for brief periods of time so his skin can adjust and he doesn't sunburn or put a light t-shirt on him. It will take a couple weeks before his hair grows back in.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Is it the pink Billy Block? Those things are worthless. They have no selenium. Goats sometime have difficulty getting enough mineral from a block, loose minerals are better. As far as getting enough minerals from grain and brouse, probably not. Very few areas of the United States have enough minerals in the soil for the plants to have enough for a goat's needs.

I agree with Queen Mum and Roll on the other stuff.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would agree that he is in much need of minerals and vitamines. I would put out loose goat minerals for him free-choice in a bowel of some kind, then I would put 15cc of red cell in his grain every day for a couple weeks. Along with extra vitamin E like roll discribed. If you are any good at drenching I would drench him with 30cc of red cell the first day.

I would also consider adding some oil to his feed, Flaxseed or sunflower seeds. While he builds his condition back up and improves coat quality. Probably for the next 2 or 3 months. Feed his GOAT grain with ammonia chloride twice a day, and get him out of the chicken feed.

If he still has lice problems it can really run them down, or he could have been so run down by the lice that he is needed lots of extra minerals to help him build up.

You could use more alfalfa instead of more grain to help put weight on.