goat losing hair

honeyb12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well it sounds like i have my work cut out for me..But I definately will do this all that is recommended i really want him to get better and feel like a new goat. :). Thanks to everyone for all your help. I need to put him in separate pen it sounds like. That will be the only way to keep him from eating the chickens food. and the Billy block I have is bluish in color-I think its berry flavored or something. I feel like such a bad goat owner I had no idea there were sooo many things to learn. Holy Goat!!! :) Thanks again..I will keep you all posted on the little goat that could..hehe! We traded two turkeys for this goat..little did I know..Oh well, hes worth it I love him dearly.

honeyb12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What would be the dosage for the vitamin b? I have something called B-Activ, from the health food store it has Vitamins B1 20mg, B2 20mg, B3 (niacin) 10mg,B3 (niacinamide) 130mg, B6 20mg,Folate 800mcg, B12 400mcg, Biotin 400mcg, B5 (pantolenic acid) 150mg, Choline (citrate) 30mg, and Benfotiamine (whatever this is) 20mg. It is in capsule form. Whew!

His skin looks like its peeling, like there is a coat of greasy gray skin that peels off (with the hair) Almost like cradle cap except its a grayish color instead of yellow. when the skin comes off underneath is pinkish normal looking skin (no hair of course). Hes romping around and acting fine.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
oh, don't feel bad, it sounds llike you are doing the best you can.

I think I would consider mange or exterior parasites as a possible problem still.

As far as the B, you can't over dose on it, since it is like vitamin C and doesn't build up in the system. The selenium, copper and vitamin E do build up in the system and over time can become toxic. But you are a long ways from that at this point. I personally can't help you with a Vitamin B dosage, I use an injectable and give it a couple times a day for a few days when a goat isn't feeling well. I do beleive Red cell also has a far amount of Vitamin B in it. But when I looked at the Vitamin E level in red cell it was quit low. And I added more to the drench or feed using gel caps from my vitamin cabinets, cutting them open and squeezing a couple 400 units on the feed. for a few days.

I also calculated at one time that one once of Recell(30 cc) delivers the maximum recommended dosage of selenium for a day, So if the goat is getting additional selenium from grain and mineral salts, I would do 30 cc for very long, that is why I recommended 15 cc a day(1/2 ounce) And to discontinue use after a couple weeks. Then only putting out good loose minerals.

Good luck with your goat.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
The "skin that is peeling" isn't skin, it's dead skin cells and oily residue mixed with dirt. AKA dander. Don't be afraid to scrub it off gently. For the vitamin B tablets, just mash up about 3 or 4 of them and mix it with the other stuff.

It sounds like he needs a good bath, and some TLC. He will be a new goat when you are done with pink healthy skin. His new hair will grow in as soon as all that gunk is off his body. He will be fine.

honeyb12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Where do u get the Red Cell?..I think I might have seen it TSC..

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
TSC also carries a 'store brand' of red cell now (made by Dumor) but ....I'd stick w/ the real deal.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
I would agree that he is in much need of minerals and vitamines. I would put out loose goat minerals for him free-choice in a bowel of some kind, then I would put 15cc of red cell in his grain every day for a couple weeks. Along with extra vitamin E like roll discribed. If you are any good at drenching I would drench him with 30cc of red cell the first day.

I would also consider adding some oil to his feed, Flaxseed or sunflower seeds. While he builds his condition back up and improves coat quality. Probably for the next 2 or 3 months. Feed his GOAT grain with ammonia chloride twice a day, and get him out of the chicken feed.

If he still has lice problems it can really run them down, or he could have been so run down by the lice that he is needed lots of extra minerals to help him build up.

You could use more alfalfa instead of more grain to help put weight on.
If you can afford it, I find that Calf Manna is so much more than just a good supplement during lactation/growing kids. I am finding my herd has the thickest shiniest coats since giving them a mix of the Calf Manna and Dumor Goat Grower(contains Ammonium Chloride). Then allow your goats access to halves of pumpkin(complete with the seeds) for a cheaper high fiber alternative to the black oil sunflower seeds(at least until the price comes back down).

For lice killing dust that is 100% safe for all goats(even newborns & lactating females) that will not damage their coats, I use PYTHON Dust... TSC carries it, and I think Blue Seals do too. Lice are dead within 24 hrs, and 1 dusting works for about 5 months. ;)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
20kidsonhill said:
I would agree that he is in much need of minerals and vitamines. I would put out loose goat minerals for him free-choice in a bowel of some kind, then I would put 15cc of red cell in his grain every day for a couple weeks. Along with extra vitamin E like roll discribed. If you are any good at drenching I would drench him with 30cc of red cell the first day.

I would also consider adding some oil to his feed, Flaxseed or sunflower seeds. While he builds his condition back up and improves coat quality. Probably for the next 2 or 3 months. Feed his GOAT grain with ammonia chloride twice a day, and get him out of the chicken feed.

If he still has lice problems it can really run them down, or he could have been so run down by the lice that he is needed lots of extra minerals to help him build up.

You could use more alfalfa instead of more grain to help put weight on.
If you can afford it, I find that Calf Manna is so much more than just a good supplement during lactation/growing kids. I am finding my herd has the thickest shiniest coats since giving them a mix of the Calf Manna and Dumor Goat Grower(contains Ammonium Chloride). Then allow your goats access to halves of pumpkin(complete with the seeds) for a cheaper high fiber alternative to the black oil sunflower seeds(at least until the price comes back down).

For lice killing dust that is 100% safe for all goats(even newborns & lactating females) that will not damage their coats, I use PYTHON Dust... TSC carries it, and I think Blue Seals do too. Lice are dead within 24 hrs, and 1 dusting works for about 5 months. ;)
Whether or not Dumor goat contains AC depends on your region - it is not always an ingredient.

honeyb12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well I got all the stuff..Unfortunately I already bought the Dumor Magic Cell ..I read ingrediaents same stuff just a little cheaper. I am making the concoction right now and giving it to him as well as giving him a bath ( I am using a mild dog/cat shampoo with flea stuff in it as I couldnt find one for horses that had flea/parasite controll in it-hope that is fine) . Poor thing he will be royally picked on today. Thanks for the pumpkin idea vs BOSS. What do u guys of peanut hay?