goat losing hair

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
TSC also carries a 'store brand' of red cell now (made by Dumor) but ....I'd stick w/ the real deal.
Roll - I'm curious since you work at TSC and Dumor is a TSC brand...why you're recommending the name brand if ingredients are the same? Know something we dont?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
honeyb12 said:
Well I got all the stuff..Unfortunately I already bought the Dumor Magic Cell ..I read ingrediaents same stuff just a little cheaper. I am making the concoction right now and giving it to him as well as giving him a bath ( I am using a mild dog/cat shampoo with flea stuff in it as I couldnt find one for horses that had flea/parasite controll in it-hope that is fine) . Poor thing he will be royally picked on today. Thanks for the pumpkin idea vs BOSS. What do u guys of peanut hay?
I haven't tried it, but I have heard some good things about peanut hay. PUmpkins are a great suggestion.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
He will be royally treated. He'll hate the bath and love it at the same time. Just towel him down good and make sure he knows he's loved. By the way, what hair he has left will be all curly for a couple hours. Don't worry. It will straighten out again.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
elevan said:
Livinwright Farm said:
20kidsonhill said:
I would agree that he is in much need of minerals and vitamines. I would put out loose goat minerals for him free-choice in a bowel of some kind, then I would put 15cc of red cell in his grain every day for a couple weeks. Along with extra vitamin E like roll discribed. If you are any good at drenching I would drench him with 30cc of red cell the first day.

I would also consider adding some oil to his feed, Flaxseed or sunflower seeds. While he builds his condition back up and improves coat quality. Probably for the next 2 or 3 months. Feed his GOAT grain with ammonia chloride twice a day, and get him out of the chicken feed.

If he still has lice problems it can really run them down, or he could have been so run down by the lice that he is needed lots of extra minerals to help him build up.

You could use more alfalfa instead of more grain to help put weight on.
If you can afford it, I find that Calf Manna is so much more than just a good supplement during lactation/growing kids. I am finding my herd has the thickest shiniest coats since giving them a mix of the Calf Manna and Dumor Goat Grower(contains Ammonium Chloride). Then allow your goats access to halves of pumpkin(complete with the seeds) for a cheaper high fiber alternative to the black oil sunflower seeds(at least until the price comes back down).

For lice killing dust that is 100% safe for all goats(even newborns & lactating females) that will not damage their coats, I use PYTHON Dust... TSC carries it, and I think Blue Seals do too. Lice are dead within 24 hrs, and 1 dusting works for about 5 months. ;)
Whether or not Dumor goat contains AC depends on your region - it is not always an ingredient.
Not Dumor Goat.... Dumor Goat GROWER. ;) The grower always contains AC.

PS: for those who don't know: Dumor is Purina, just packaged with a different name specifically for TSC at a special price. ;) At the bottom of every Dumor label it says Purina Mills

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
elevan said:
Livinwright Farm said:
If you can afford it, I find that Calf Manna is so much more than just a good supplement during lactation/growing kids. I am finding my herd has the thickest shiniest coats since giving them a mix of the Calf Manna and Dumor Goat Grower(contains Ammonium Chloride). Then allow your goats access to halves of pumpkin(complete with the seeds) for a cheaper high fiber alternative to the black oil sunflower seeds(at least until the price comes back down).

For lice killing dust that is 100% safe for all goats(even newborns & lactating females) that will not damage their coats, I use PYTHON Dust... TSC carries it, and I think Blue Seals do too. Lice are dead within 24 hrs, and 1 dusting works for about 5 months. ;)
Whether or not Dumor goat contains AC depends on your region - it is not always an ingredient.

PS: for those who don't know: Dumor is Purina, just packaged with a different name specifically for TSC at a special price. ;) At the bottom of every Dumor label it says Purina Mills
Sorry, hope you aren't mad at me but I would have to challenge that satement, it may be made by purina Mills, but more than likely the reason that it is cheaper, isn't just because it was discounted for tSC, but because they have tweeked a couple of the ingredients in it, or added a little cheaper ingredients to it or have not added as expensive of ingredients to it, to make it more cost affective for TSC to sell. Not saying it is a bad feed. Just saying it may not have in it a couple of the same things as Purina Impulse, which is specificly labeled as a show feed and very expensive, I beleive right now almost $20 a 50lb bag.

For example: When discussing feed with the maker of Show Rite Duncan feeds, He had several bags of different types of feeds, Some better for young kids, some better for bucks, but then he had a couple very high-end feeds. With a price difference of around one dollar between the two of them. When we asked him, "why the difference?" He explained that the one feed has a ver expensive type of digestable fat in it that he has been very very happy with, but it adds cost to the feed, Even though the feed labels read the same. FEed ingredients labels do not have to put all the details on their labels, and acutally starting a few months ago, they don't even have to put the proper order on the ingredients label. Now when you look at a label, just because the corn isn't first, doesn't mean that corn products are not the biggest ingredients in the product.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Getting back to the subject at hand.... I want to know how is the goat? How did his bath go? How does his skin look? Is he feeling OK? Pictures? Hopefully before and after...

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
elevan said:
Livinwright Farm said:

Previous experience tells me that just because the label of a store branded product says it is made by a name brand company does not mean that it is the exact same.

I cannot find any info on Dumor Goat Grower. Tractor Supply states that they only have the Dumor Goat Feed and the Dumor Goat Sweet Formula Feed. Maybe it's a regional thing.

Regardless, no one should assume that a product has an ingredient just because of a name. Regional manufacturing can vary. Always read the label for a list of ingredients.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
Getting back to the subject at hand.... I want to know how is the goat? How did his bath go? How does his skin look? Is he feeling OK? Pictures? Hopefully before and after...
x2

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
elevan said:
Livinwright Farm said:
elevan said:

Previous experience tells me that just because the label of a store branded product says it is made by a name brand company does not mean that it is the exact same.

I cannot find any info on Dumor Goat Grower. Tractor Supply states that they only have the Dumor Goat Feed and the Dumor Goat Sweet Formula Feed. Maybe it's a regional thing.

Regardless, no one should assume that a product has an ingredient just because of a name. Regional manufacturing can vary. Always read the label for a list of ingredients.
Not sure what to say on the TSC website info thing, since we have found inaccuracies between what their website says they do or do not have and what is actually found in-store. Which is why we call our local TSC if we see a product mentioned or don't see a product mentioned that other people say they carry, and verify with our store before making the trip.

As for the quality of the feed, according to the Purina Mills representative that I dealt with, it IS their show feed(same amounts and same ingredients) just given a different name with an accompanying cheaper price due to the fact that TSC orders such LARGE quantities of their product at one time. Much like buying a pallet of feed is cheaper than buying the same number of bags individually. Also, as I stated, their grower ALWAYS has Ammonium Chloride in the mix, it is not a regional addition... again, I was told this by a Purina Mills representative.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm convinced that even Purina isn't necessarily Purina anymore, depending on where ya buy it.. When I buy the huge 40lb bags of Purina Dog Chow from Wal-Mart, it looks completely different than when I buy the smaller 20lb or smaller bags from dollar general or another store. The Wal-Mart bags seem to contain more of the larger, light brown chunks, and the food is overall *much* drier than what I get in smaller bags.. The smaller bags are downright oily in comparison, and have much more of the smaller, darker chunks.. It just looks like better food to me -- and the dogs can tell a difference too..

They'll eat the Wal-Mart stuff, but they scarf the dollar store stuff down a lot quicker.. And if I go from the dollar store stuff back to the Wal-Mart stuff, there's usually a brief moment of...hey, wait a minute...before they start eating.

Tags are all exactly the same, bag and label is exactly the same.. And that food used to be $21.99 at WalMart, then came down to $20.99, and now it's $19.99.. I'm going to buy a large bag from TSC -- where it's like $23/$24 -- next time and see if there's a difference between their bulk bags and the bulk Wal-Mart bag.. I truly, honestly believe that Wal-Mart has pushed Purina not only to NOT increase prices, but to actually push their prices down.....and that drier food that *appears* to be of lower quality is the result.

I can't back that up, though..

But I will say that *if* that's the case, then a Purina tag on Dumor feed really doesn't mean anything except that Dumar contracts with a Purina Mills factory to produce *their* feed to *their* specification.

Latest posts