GOAT-MEAT PRODUCTION AUSSIE STYLE

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fascinating! Australia's feral goat problem is like our feral hog problem. But there isn't a lot of market for feral hogs, so y'all are way out in front of us. That is a lot of dogs! I love the shots of the dogs riding on the motorcycles and jumping off to go herd the goats. It seems like a windfall for the ranchers, a lot of money running around on the hoof!

I have to say that it looks easier to round up feral goats than it is to round up feral hogs. Hogs are mean. A neighbor was excited tonight to go to the deer camp to pick up a 300 pound feral hog that was shot. She has my meat grinder and she'll make sausage and ground meat to feed her 3 boys.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
awesome journalism. Very well done. Trying to wrap my head around 186,000 acres... :th

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
enjoyed so very much, thanks for posting it TOR. I enjoyed watching the dogs work the goats. I must say I was surprised that the goats didn't try to fight the dogs. my lazy spoiled goats will bow up at dogs that try to herd them and some of those horns look wicked

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day, glad you enjoyed.on the subject of "hogs" our local guy uses a Kelpie as a finder and hunting dogs to bring them down.
L.S.in then western division 186.000 acs is a "small run".
G.G.The helicopters are at the rear and the dogs are on the wings,leaving the "flight path open",this is the key to mustering feral goats.
I will keep an eye open for other things which you may all enjoy...T.O.R.