Goat Milk Cream Separator

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I resurrected this thread to keep your journal yours, again. :) Happy to see I was pretty much on schedule with my own plans....And, reading some really old threads, seems that the only complaint type comments is the numbers of pieces and constant disassemble & reassemble to use the separators

You said you pasteurized -- meaning before you separate the cream? (I use raw). Any updates on your butter - what's worked, keeping times, etc.

Do you let the cream sit out before whipping now? (That was always how grandma did her cow cream. Of course, shook it in jars, no mixers, no electric)

What cheeses have you made with the whey? If any.

I have cheese making books...will look there for some ideas.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I resurrected this thread to keep your journal yours, again. :) Happy to see I was pretty much on schedule with my own plans....And, reading some really old threads, seems that the only complaint type comments is the numbers of pieces and constant disassemble & reassemble to use the separators

You said you pasteurized -- meaning before you separate the cream? (I use raw). Any updates on your butter - what's worked, keeping times, etc.

Do you let the cream sit out before whipping now? (That was always how grandma did her cow cream. Of course, shook it in jars, no mixers, no electric)

What cheeses have you made with the whey? If any.

I have cheese making books...will look there for some ideas.
I did use to pasteurized my goat milk, but after I wrote this, I realized I was having an increasing amount of phlegm in my throat. Long story short, I realized that pasteurizing the milk destroyed enzymes that allowed my body to digest proteins in the milk and I was having a reaction to the milk. It took a while for things to settle out, but now that I have gone to using raw milk, I don't have phlegm in my throat. Btw, I have multiple food sensitivities & several of them cause phlegm in my throat. So, when that happens I know I am reacting to something in the food.

No, I haven't tried "clabbering" or leaving the cream out over night. I may try that once I get back into the swing of things this summer.

I don't use the whey to make cheese, because it is higher in casein, which is the protein that I am sensitive to. Also, if I'm not mistaken, cheeses, that are made from whey (like ricotta) are heated to high temps, which destroy those enzymes, that I require to digest casein.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mini, on my journal you recently asked how I make butter with the cream I make using my cream separator. I thought I would copy my answer over here, for future reference:

I use my Kitchen aid stand mixer using the wire whisk beater.

I usually put 1/2 gallon of EXTRA heavy cream in and start it on medium speed, so it doesn't splash all over. Once it starts thickening & looking like whipped cream, I turn the speed to high. Eventually it starts to separate, but I keep going for a while, so more "buttermilk" is in the bowl. At that point, I pour the buttermilk out, into a quart jar. If memory serves me, I get about 2 cups. That goes in the fridge for a future treat.

Next, I put ice into a bowl of water and using a sieve (to keep ice chunks out of my butter) I pour about a cup of ice water into the butter & turn the mixer back on high & mix for a while. "Rinse & repeat" about 4 times, until the water runs clear, when I pour it down the drain. Oh, and I use one of those 1/2 circle pasta strainers, to krep the butter in the bowl, when I pour the water into the sink.

Once I am satisfied that the whey is rinsed out, I run the mixer & drain the liquid a few more times and then add the salt - I think I add 1 tsp per 1/2 gallon of cream.

You asked if I make sticks or put it in a bowl. I tried rolling it in wax paper, but found it easier to put it in plastic leftover bowls with lids, that we get at Wal-Mart. The store brand has a flat, rectangular shaped one that nicely holds a pound of butter. We put the bowl on the scale & "tare" it out before spooning in the butter.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Long story short, I realized that pasteurizing the milk destroyed enzymes that allowed my body to digest proteins in the milk and I was having a reaction to the milk

Which is why many can drink raw goat milk, not cow. Then there's the finer globules and goats are A2...many cows are not, some are. Technicalities make goat milk better.:)

Raw butter, good. But cheese becomes pasteurized during the cooking process, so does that have issues for you? May depend on how much you consume.

Yep, I've read various posts about multiple sensitivities to a lot of things many of us do not have to contend with. Good part? You are aware, research and use alternatives.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Raw butter, good. But cheese becomes pasteurized during the cooking process, so does that have issues for you? May depend on how much you consume.
Yes, some cheese recipes, like ricotta, require high temps. I don't make those cheeses. I just make cheeses that can be made with low temps (less than 110 F), like mozzarella and Feta.