Goat mineral issue

Goat Mania

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi

None of the minerals discussed on the forum are available in Asia. I am of the opinion that my herds productivity is low due to bad nutrition and mineral balance. Im trying to work around it as best I can

I have compared the available mineral mixtures with RAGLAND minerals in the picture below. The last column has RAGLAND mills goat mineral composition.

Can someone knowledgeable please help me sort out my mineral dilemma? By the way these minerals are made for cows not goats. We have nothing here specifically for goats

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• goat minerals.jpg
    goat minerals.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that you forgot to post the picture, or at least I don't see one.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never heard of Ragland mineral. It is not for goats as there is NO copper in it and goats need copper. I am thinking that it must be a sheep mineral. I would go with the mineral that has the highest copper. The 24 calcium is really high but the phosphorus is a good balance to the Calcium so I think that I would still go with the mineral A.

Goat Mania

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have never heard of Ragland mineral. It is not for goats as there is NO copper in it and goats need copper. I am thinking that it must be a sheep mineral. I would go with the mineral that has the highest copper. The 24 calcium is really high but the phosphorus is a good balance to the Calcium so I think that I would still go with the mineral A.

Thanks. I'm attaching the ragland label here. The Mineral A is 3 times more expensive than others too. But as you noticed the others are lacking in copper. Is there anything else I need to supplement with if I am feeding A?

Also I don't leave it our free choice. Here we add about 20g per day into concentrate feed as we serve it wet. 20g a day is not enough?

Attachments

• 81D64482-2166-4E01-8641-B96378AB28F8.jpeg
    81D64482-2166-4E01-8641-B96378AB28F8.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 239

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of the best goat minerals near me is Sweetlix Magnum Milk .I would look at that label as a comparison. I'm not sure about things like the selenium as it is always hard to determine weight, percentage, or ppm. Also, my soil is very deficient in Selenium and yours may not be, but selenium is something else that goats need .

Can you leave it out free choice? Many people think that the goats will eat what they need. Also, can you get cobalt blocks? That might be good too.

Goat Mania

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
One of the best goat minerals near me is Sweetlix Magnum Milk .I would look at that label as a comparison. I'm not sure about things like the selenium as it is always hard to determine weight, percentage, or ppm. Also, my soil is very deficient in Selenium and yours may not be, but selenium is something else that goats need .

Can you leave it out free choice? Many people think that the goats will eat what they need. Also, can you get cobalt blocks? That might be good too.

I can leave it out free choice they would waste it though. Cobalt blocks are not available here. I'll check out the magnum milk label.

If I am supplementing I will have to add copper sulphate / cobalt sulphate seperately.

Last edited:

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Why not combine the Ragland with the one containing copper? Best of both. Adding on top of feed can get tricky when considering age, stage of gestation, lactation, etc. Free choice is so much easier! If you only have a few goats a gallon plastic jug can be made into a mineral feeder.

Goat Mania

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Why not combine the Ragland with the one containing copper? Best of both. Adding on top of feed can get tricky when considering age, stage of gestation, lactation, etc. Free choice is so much easier! If you only have a few goats a gallon plastic jug can be made into a mineral feeder.

Thanks for taking time to reply Donna. Ragland is not available here. Only the others are. I came across Ragland from one of the carousel advertisements on BYH. So thought it was a house hold name for most people.

I am considering using the one with more copper and one of the others mixed together (to reduce cost). Waiting for others here to check it out and approve of it!

Latest posts