Goat names Year of Y; Year of Z

alba

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was told that last year was the year of Y and people named their goats names beginning with Ys. This year is the year of Z ? and people are naming their goats names beginning with Z

What does this mean? where does this year of a letter come from? I never heard of this before.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
The breed associations have tattoo letters for ea. year. This year for the ADGA it's Z. So you tattoo your kids as Z1, Z2, etc...then you can check their ears and tell what year they were born.

Each breed association is different, the boer goat letter is Y this year.

I've never heard of people using the year's letter to name their goats, but I suppose it could be done.

We go w/ the Sire's theme, and dam's first letter...examples:
Sire: Snickers
Dam: Dolly
Kid: Snicker's Doodle (cookies go w/ candy bars....right? ;))

Sire: Hurricane
Kid: Derricho (obscure name for a small storm, goes along w/ "Hurricane" theme....)

Run-A-Muck Ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
The breed associations have tattoo letters for ea. year. This year for the ADGA it's Z. So you tattoo your kids as Z1, Z2, etc...then you can check their ears and tell what year they were born.

Each breed association is different, the boer goat letter is Y this year.

I've never heard of people using the year's letter to name their goats, but I suppose it could be done.

We go w/ the Sire's theme, and dam's first letter...examples:
Sire: Snickers
Kid: Snicker's Doodle (cookies go w/ candy bars....right? ;))

Sire: Hurricane
Kid: Derricho (obscure name for a small storm, goes along w/ "Hurricane" theme....)
Those are neat ways to name you animals....
My kids name ALL our animals....
We have movie characters, made up name, names that go together (like mom is Flower baby is Violet, Rose, Lilly etc. etc.)
Some of the names they come up with are hillarious though....
Like Abby's 3 pigs are Ah-Ah, Eh-Eh, Toukie-Toukie (it's from George of the Jungle--the one with Brandon Fraiser)

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know some that use the letters to name, I also know some that name by the letter of the mom (if the mom's name is Star, then the kids all get S names)

I sometimes use themes (Lonestar was a Texas theme), but mostly I just give them names I like based on, color, markings, personality, etc. takes me longer to name keepers.

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I tried letting the kids name them (nephews), they aren't very imaginative.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There is a farm that I read about that names their goats according to the tattoo letter that particular year. They said it helps them remember their goats' birth year without having to look on paperwork.

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I left my teenagers name mine and got Eileen, Dragan and Leslie. A little too sophisticated for me.