Goat not putting hoof down

Capri

Just born
Reaction score
Daisy is a rescue goat. She is extremely underweight. I've had her since Friday March 3 2017. The first 2 days here she refused to eat and lost what little weight she had. By the end of that first weekend we decided to go to the vet if she made it through the night. By some miracle she was up and walking and very hungry that Monday morning. We did not go to the vet. We got calf mana and goat supplements and she started doing well. Then my daughter (9), trying to help decided that because Daisy is skinny she needed more food and overloaded her on grain. I've spent my day's in the goat pen with pro biotics and baking soda since them getting her already weak system back on track. Thank God she's almost normal again. But this is my first time having goats. I'm learning as I go. Yesterday morning Daisy was walking funny. I took a pic and sent it to a vet and they said possible nerve damage. I'm not finding much information on line. Has anyone else ever dealt with this? Dose anyone have any suggestions? I'll try to post the pictures.
KIMG0006.JPG
KIMG0005.JPG

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. Sorry you're going through issue after issue with your rescue goat. I'll tag a few goat pros who may be able to help

I don't think "nerve damage" would happen "overnight"... I would suspect that she has stepped on something and may have a splinter or some other damage to her hoof. It's possible that she may have tripped and sprained it or something but it doesn't appear to have any real swelling @ the joint... I'm sorry but the picture is too blurry to really make anything out. Have you inspected the hoof up close and personal? It may be that she simply needs a hoof trim... It may be uncomfortable for her to walk on it if the hoof is overgrown. It could also be a bacterial infection of the hoof.

With the other internal issues and eating issues as well as being a rescue and the recent stress of the move, you seriously should get a fecal done and check for a parasite (worm) bloom, as with her already weakened state, it could kill her.

Hope you'll give us an update as things progress. Good luck with her!

@Goat Whisperer @babsbag @frustratedearthmother @Fullhousefarm @Southern by choice @OneFineAcre And there are quite a few others.

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not sure if this applies to goats but sometimes horses will have a bout of lameness after getting into a wet pasture or grain bin. I would love to hear from someone with good goat wisdom if this is or is not a goat thing as well...:caf:old

Capri

Just born
Reaction score
She is being dewormed. I'm just at a loss of what to do.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She is being dewormed. I'm just at a loss of what to do.
I would not just deworm her. What dewormer did you use? You don't know what she has and if she has a major parasite bloom, a strong dewormer could cause the parasites to release too quickly, causing her to bleed out and die. Dewormers won't kill coccidia which are protozoans not worms. A fecal would tell you what she has and what you need. If she has a major parasite bloom, it might be best to start out with a "weak" dewormer, like safeguard, to slowly release the worms, and work up to a stronger one.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would also test her for Johnes. One of the symptoms is weight loss and "unthriftiness".

Capri

Just born
Reaction score
It's what ever the vet that saw her right after she was taken from the home that neglected her recommend.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do you have any other goats? Not having a buddy may cause her to be depressed and not eat enough.

I think the best thing to do would be to have a vet look at her hoof, run a fecal, and draw blood to test for Johnes and CAE while you're at it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure if this applies to goats but sometimes horses will have a bout of lameness after getting into a wet pasture or grain bin. I would love to hear from someone with good goat wisdom if this is or is not a goat thing as well...:caf:old

It can be a goat thing too but I have never seen it so no pro for sure...not even close. My understanding of founder is that they usually start walking back on the pasterns and not folded under like that. But like I said, no first hand experience. If is is founder she should recover but she can also have a recurring episodes. I would consult a vet if it doesn't clear up in a day or two.

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/founderingoats.html

Latest posts