Goat off feed, weak, poops and pees normal?

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I discovered one of my myotonic goats has lost weight and was weak yesterday and not eating much. His butt looked like he may have had diarrhea, but he's pooping normally now.

I've separated him from the herd an he won't eat anymore. He had some alfalfa pellets yesterday and choked on them. The choke cleared, and I'm trying to give him soaked pellets and he won't eat. He's nibbled a little hay but that's all.

He's drinking water okay and peeing too. Any ideas?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is it possible the goat ate something new or unusual?
Is he current on CD&T
Has he suddenly had new fresh spring grass?

Check the eyelids (inner) are they pale?
Take a temp
Collect a fecal sample and take to your vet.
I suspect high worm load but there is still possibility of other issues.

These are all places to start.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Is there a reason for the pellets? Was this a new change?

Grab a temp on him and then get a fecal in.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Weight loss, lack of appetite, scouring sounds very much like parasites could be the issue.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He's a little better today. More alert, wanted out of his stall this morning. I had given him a big dose of red cell last night. He's drinking very frequently. Not a large quantity of water but visiting his water bucket a lot. I treated his water with Corid just in case of coccidia, but this is an adult goat.

His poops range from normal pellets to clumpy, but no runs anymore.

He's utd on CD&T, he gets wormed regularly and I copper bolus my goats once a year as well. He hasn't had his copper this year yet. No fever either, temperature normal. Gums and eyelids a little pale, so maybe parasites?

The alfalfa pellets are not new. The grass is just now beginning to come in a tiny bit so my animals are still getting alfalfa and hay. No lush grass yet.

I offered him some calf manna pellets today since no one can resist calf manna, and he started to gobble them right down. Then all of a sudden he stopped, grunted a little and moaned and started frothing at the mouth again like he might choke! I know that calf manna dissolves super easy, so I wasn't concerned of another choke episode and it passed quickly. However he seems to want to eat, but its like he can't or perhaps it hurts to eat? He nibbles hay and calf manna, but sometimes just lets some of it drop out of his mouth? He's very very careful about how he chews and swallows. He also makes some strange gulping sounds when he swallows? I heard some gut gurgles too after he had eaten a little. His belly is sunken, not at all bloated.

Oh, I also offered him some baking soda and he ate that willingly. He seemed to object to the taste of it, but continued to eat until he had enough (about a teaspoon or so). I thought maybe it was a simple case of acidosis? But he's still not much better.

I want to hit him with some heavy duty wormer next. What should I use in a case like this?

I've got CDT antitoxin on hand, as well as injectible iron and some injectable B complex. I'm thinking of giving him a dose of those as soon as I have someone to hold him still for me. He's still spry enough to give me a fight.

He seems to be improving gradually. I don't fear I'm in danger of losing him or anything, at least not at this point.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
What you're describing, to me, almost sounds like either a tooth problem, or something stuck back in his throat or his esophagus. Any chance you can get a real good look in there, as far as possible?

I wouldn't keep throwing treatments at him without a better idea of what's going on with him. I'd run a fecal to see if he does have coccidia and/or parasites, and probably have the vet out if he continues having a problem eating normally. Good luck with him!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree. The choking and swallowing seems odd to me.
Sometimes the best thing is to see a vet. Definitely look if you can (not easy on a goat) down the throat, check, teeth, feel externally for any masses.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Agree with the above. And you probably know it but Corid is not the best choice for coccidiosis. Before offering additional treatments, give him a good look over like the other's suggested, and get a fecal test---way better than guessing and wasting money on the wrong/unnneeded med.