Goat Polio

rosti

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've had three cases of polio, and never found out what caused it. Only one was getting grain when she came down with it, and no feed changes otherwise.
The most recent case we had wasn't on grain at all, and she was down, stiff, thrashing, and blind, when we found her. We gave Thiamine IV, and with more Thiamine and TLC, she's doing better and getting her sight back.

totesmcgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. It’s been heartening to know that I didn’t cause this through some sort of neglect. And I’m glad I know what this looks like in case it happens again. We’ve only had goats for about three years, and we’ve been fortunate that this was the first major incident we’ve had with their health. I’ve talked with the vet about getting thiamine to have on hand and I’ve taken this opportunity to make sure our emergency kit is fully stocked with anything we might need.

Rosti - I’m glad your girl is getting better!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss. Hang in there.

kuwaiti-90

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@totesmcgoats

I am sorry for what happened to her, and I hope that God bless you better than them.

The problem I think of not checking the situation well as far as I know, was the blood checked?
And some of the things is inflammation of the nerves. Or lack of vitamin B, and sometimes have anemia.
Or in copper deficiency

All these things lead to goat polio.

If the disease is Listeria (actually treated with antibiotics but early in the day)
Prevention and treatment:
1 / giving chloro-tetracycline
2 / penicillin G
3 / Treatment is not useful in case of delay and the appearance of symptoms clearly

Stang7222

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this because its relevant to my day...

Rose is a 6 month old ND. At 6:15 am everything was fine. At 4:30 pm she was shaking, could hardly keep her balance and was blind. We were at the vet by 6:00 pm and she was given thiamine. By 9:00 pm she seemed to be doing much better and starting to regain her eyesight.

I'll update as we go. So far it looks like we caught polio early but we're going to treat for listeria for the next few days just to be safe.

Latest posts