Goat pregnancy and toxic plants

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've been looking in a lot of places but can't find the effects of toxic plants on a pregnant goat.

Our goats were confirmed pregnant at around 50 days after breeding using BioPRYNN. How far along would the pregnancy have to be in order for there to be a visible sign of abortion/miscarriage?

Yesterday our goat escaped and managed to eat some azalea. Even after eating it they were eating grass and hay and we gave them each *at least* one tablespoon of activated charcoal, along with some strong tea.

They never showed any symptoms of poisoning and were chewing cud happily.

Today they got out again which I admit was my fault for not securing them into a smaller fenced area. Again they were fine, eating grass and hay, and got a bunch of activated charcoal disguised as banana peels. No symptoms of poisoning, chewing cud happily.

Considering they never displayed symptoms of poisoning (vomiting, diarrhea, etc.), what are the chances that the poison has affected their unborn children?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would say watch them, as you are doing. Take a temp. If there is no discharge..then I would doubt a miscarriage...you could always recheck..I did an at home pTest..very cheap..$5 a pice. $5 shipping.. it reconfirmed my Pygmy..she tested negative the first time, but it was too soon, and I knew she was pregnant. I looked it up..it says plenty of water..no grain..watch for vomiting. It can terrible tummy pains..but it doesn’t sound like your girls have that. It says you can redoes the charcoal after 2 hours if needed...it doesn’t say it will hurt the kids. It does recommend pulling out the bushes. Hopefully this helps? I think you’re doing a great job!!

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
When is the danger of re absorption past? I'm worried they could show no signs of terminating the pregnancy

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
It just said that they would vomit if if they are having toxic amounts in their system. I think if the pregnancy ends you will know it..it says that there may be a bit of blood on the hocks or tail..and the fetus is reabsorbed. This is before 3 months. If you are this worried maybe you should call a vet? My vet doesn’t mind phone calls...are they vomiting..or still acting normal?

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
One (not pregnant) started slinging cud and now is sort of standing in a corner. One pregnant one also sounds like she is in some discomfort.I'm surprised it took this long for symptoms to show?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I would’ve thought it’d be sooner...I would give the charcoal again..it cant hurt...and lots of water..hay..no grain...

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yup but I'm too scared to drench...

Vet said basically the only thing to do at this point is give pain medication but that the risk to the pregnancy is minimal. She had a pretty optimistic outlook (said that while of course there is a possibility of death, it's rare in here experience) but I still can't stop worrying about the pregnancy; especially since I saw some kind of mucus discharge afterwards

The things we do for these dim bulbs...

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score

Vet said basically the only thing to do at this point is give pain medication but that the risk to the pregnancy is minimal. She had a pretty optimistic outlook (said that while of course there is a possibility of death, it's rare in here experience) but I still can't stop worrying about the pregnancy; especially since I saw some kind of mucus discharge afterwards

Oh you’re not kidding about that!! I’ve been obsessed ‘this whole kidding season!! My hubby can’t take it anymore, so I had to dial it down this week after being pretty stupid Sunday night. If you’re that worried, I’d order the PTest and test the urine..it’s cheap and easy..then you'll know if they are pregnant and can put your mind at ease. I’m glad you called the vet and she helped..glad she’s going to help the little goaties belly’s too!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am very careful with toxic plants. I go down the list of toxic plants before I plant anything. If you don't want to pull them up, then maybe beef up your fence/gate. Sometimes animals will eat toxic plants in small amounts for the trace minerals and vitamins or to worm themselves. Or sometimes because they do these things just to worry us to death. I hope they are ok.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score

How are the goats today? Still have tummy aches? Are they eating?