Goat Quarantine - what do you do?

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
We extend quarantine time depending on the animal.

One doeling was in quarantine for 4 months, only recently added to the herd. She had chronic respiratory issues and multiple other things. She enjoys being with the herd now.

Shots , worming, and the big 3 are tested for. We recently also started testing for Bruc and TB.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
At least 30 days is best IMO.

For goats that have any potential issues they are in quarantine longer.
I thoroughly evaluate each goat before I bring them home, so I already have an idea of any issues I could be dealing with.

Once they get here I run a fecal on the goat. Follow up and treat as needed.
If the goat is an adult we generally test for CAE, CL & Johne's. We also generally have an agreement with the seller that if the goat comes up positive for anything they will take the goat back and refund the money.

Young goats still get quarantined. Obviously you can't test for CAE, CL, or Johne's at that age but still do the fecal etc.

I don't put a buddy in with them. They can still see other goats, and get to somewhat get to "know" each other before released into the herd.

I have bent the rules once or twice :hide
When I got my guy from OFA he was separated for maybe a week. I ran the fecal (all good) but treated as a prevention as he was just weaned AND moved to our farm.
After that he was moved in with a wether we had kept just for the buck. BUT I know OFA's herd pretty well now and felt comfortable with cutting the quarantine time down. Plus, he was only with 1 wether so not a huge deal anyway. I wouldn't do this with every situation though.

When to decide when it's done- is the goat completely healthy? Low or no parasites or cocci? Proper tests run? All tests - ? Is the goat comfortable with ME (easy to catch/handle)? Is the free of external parasites too? Hooves trimmed? Has the goat been switched to our hay and feed? Is the goat drinking and eating properly?
Anything off about the goat?
^just a few things to consider before putting the goat with the rest of the herd.
what do you think about a goat that you're getting back that you sold after 3 months. as far as I can tell she's fine except for they tried to kill her by not dealing with parasites. I've had her home 10 days she's been wormed in about to get a second dose and fecal run I'm just not sure I'm just putting on weight again and and seems to be doing fine got to get paranoid about Johnees.