goat questions

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am not a goat lady and probably not going to become one. BUT...we have been given a youngish nanny that looks to have suffered mastitis (but what do I know I don't know goats) one side of her bag is all huge and the udder is big. The other side is small like it was never nursed on or it went down to reg. size. No active infection or swelling, just big bag and udder.
I need to find her a goat buddy.
I hear nightmare stories about billies peeing on themselves and stinking. What truth it there to that?
If looking for a buddy for her what do I want to find. An open doe? A castrated billy (what are they called) obviously not a buck to breed her.
She is rather small, head comes up to my thigh.

I'm just feeling sorry for her being alone out there. Jesse the guard dog is trying to be her buddy but she's not liking her. I've got some ewes pulled in with her but they aren't liking each other either. No butting but ignoring each other and threatening behavior out of the goat if they get to close to her. She isn't running them off but she's sure acting like she'd butt them if they get to close.
Thanks for any advise. If I don't get things worked out I'm going to look for a petting zoo or something like that. She is really friendly and has not even acted like she was going to butt anyone not counting the dogs.

Attachments

• Mitilda.jpg
    Mitilda.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 113

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
She is likely a pygmy or a cross of one given her size and look.

When looking for a companion for her you either want a doe or a wether (castrated male). Keep in mind that in the beginning there will be head butting and posturing that could take a few weeks to sort itself out. This is perfectly normal herd hierarchical procedure...they will be working out who is to be "top dog" so to speak.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
She may not have had mastitis. A single kid will sometimes nurse one side and the other side will dry off. Hopefully, that is the case here. We have had it happen.

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes ive seen bags on sheep have this kind of look but it looks worse for this doe to me. Like she's nursed off that side every year and never on the other side. I will try and take a picture tomorrow.
She now has freedom in the paddock. But the sheep come and go. I think she will hangout in their vicinity but will they get used to each other being different species? I understand animal meetings of the same species but this seems different. Maybe I should give them a few weeks to see what happens. She just seems...alone even when other animals are around her.

We just got rid of a bottle baby lamb that we sold and was returned at a year old. She was raised with children instead of sheep. She never knew she was a sheep so she never stayed with them. All the sheep beat up on her. It was sad....sad enough that I butchered her and felt that was a better deal than left alone out there.
At least Matilda knows she is a goat.
Would a weaned young kid work? Wethered if its a male of course.

Latest posts