Goat Relapsing Anemia, Snowed in With No Vet! Help!

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
He didn't tell me, but he did check her temperature and her color and doesn't know what's wrong since her color's good, she's eaten, and apparently her temperature was fine. Yikes!! Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it :)

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I....dug out my vehicle, scraped everything off, rushed here in the snow and ice....for the vet to tell me he doesn't know what's wrong with her. All her blood work came back good, her color is good, and she's not showing any signs of bloat or disease. He thinks she's "chilly" and never recovered fully from her glucose deficiency. He wants to keep her overnight and put her on an IV. I said okay because I don't want to lose my little girl!

I talked to him about her being so small and he said sometimes it just happens with twins and it makes them more prone to disease. At least my little girl is safe and in good hands. Thank you to everyone for all your help and support!!!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are a good goat mama and she is lucky to have you. Hope that she is ok.

I had a goat choke and die on alfalfa pellets. Bloat can also be a "mechanical" bloat, if they have something stuck in the throat they can't burp and will get bloat but it isn't from the food per se, it is because they are choking. The first one of mine that choked on pellets was very bloated, I treated her for bloat and when I drenched her I unknowingly cleared the blockage. She belched and all was good, I still didn't know that she had choked.

The second time it happened a few days later there were two that were bloated. While I was desperately trying to figure out what was happening one suddenly was fine, she cleared the choking on her own. The other was getting bigger and bigger literally before my eyes and before I could even find a tube to try and tube her she died. It was not pleasant. Now when I feed pellets I either feed them with hay so that they have to eat more slowly or I feed the pellets wet.

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@babsbag oh my goodness I am so sorry you had to go through that :( I was randomly thrown into the world of goat care when an elderly man I took care of was sent to a nursing home and left me in charge of his goats! Everything I "learned" came from elderly farmers who feed their goats ONLY pellets and corn! Yikes! I had two of my beautiful girls die from bloat in a day, I was devastated. I know better now and only feed mine hay and lots of minerals and kitchen scraps I know are healthy. Thank you for the advice, I never realized choking was such a hazard!

And thank you for saying I'm a good goat mama, that actually means a lot to me :hugs you sound like you are too! :hugs