Goat screaming in pain and can't stand - EMERGENCY!

Bird Whisperer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I need help, my female nigerian dwarf goat (about 5 years old) just started screaming and cannot stand. I have no idea what's going on nor what to do!!!!
Any advice is appreciated!!!

Bird Whisperer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Our neighbor says it may be bloat and told us to give her some olive oil. I squirted about 1/4 cup down her throat but I'm worried she ate something bad. I'm so scared for her plz help :hit

Bird Whisperer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
There are no vets open where I am. SHe just did a big burp, but still in a lot of pain.
Does it sound like endotoxemia? is there anything I could do for that?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you have a large animal vet practice, they will have an emergency number.... many will share duties for after hours.... taking turns to cover areas.... because large animals don't just get sick during "office hours"...
I am not a goat person, but could she have twisted a gut? Cows will get twisted guts (called DA's) and the right side can kill them, but the left is not quite as critical.... they don't scream with pain though. Simple surgery to correct....
Maybe the olive oil is coating the stomach and helping her pass gas.... Really, we are just making a stab in the dark without in person actual inspection.
Enterotoxemia is caused by the clostridial bacterias.... calves get blackleg and will often be found dead for no reason....
the olive oil may help to flush the "bloom" of clostridials out of the system.... but again...... we ARE GUESSING. The oil WILL NOT hurt her, nor will trying to get her to take in more fluid to keep her hydrated....
If you don't have a regular "large animal vet" then you need to find one for the future.... but again, is there anyone else with goats in the area you can call to come look at her?????

Bird Whisperer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@farmerjan @MuldrowHomeFarm she was definitely bloating. I gave her some olive oil and baking soda and massaged her tummy for a while but she became kinda paralytic and stopped making any sound. Unfortunately she just passed :hit
Near by are only cat and dog vets. I'm trying to find the nearest large animal vet to see if they can do a necropsy on her since this was so sudden.

My mom was giving some plant trimmings to them (we have a total of 6 goats - thankfully, none of the others have any issues) when she just started screaming at the top of her lungs and collapsed. We always make sure the plants are non-toxic before we give it to them. We do have some sago palms and oleander but they're on the opposite side of the yard (we're on an acre), but if there was a little one sprouting where my mom was gardening maybe it slipped into the mix unnoticed :(

Does it sound like poisoning to you? I've never really had any issues with our goats before so this was super out of the blue

MuldrowHomeFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm so sorry you lost her. I don't know if poisoning would have been that fast but I guess it is possible. It doesn't sound like a vet would have been able to save her. I hate that when goats go down, it can happen so fast. I wish we could have been more helpful.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry for you to have lost her. I just don't know about the possibility of poisoning. Maybe could have been that fast acting....I do know that a cow can die QUICKLY from wilted wild cherry leaves and they don't have to eat very many. They can eat them green off the tree, or dried/brown. Just not wilted.
If you can find someone to do a necropsy, that would definitely be helpful because you don't know what you are dealing with. I would not feed them anything trimmed just to be on the safe side, until you can hopefully figure it out. Sounds like even a fast trip to a knowledgeable vet probably wouldn't have helped either. Sure hope that you can find someone there to use for the goats.

Latest posts