Goat screaming in pain and can't stand - EMERGENCY!

Bird Whisperer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@MuldrowHomeFarm @farmerjan Thank you for the kind words.
I don't know if there was anything anyone could've done; it all went down less than 30 minutes...

I do plan on getting a trocar/cannula and some some other suggested first aid gear for goats incase we encounter some (bloat) issues in the future. (Silver lining is that I'll be more prepared should something happen to the others).

All I've found in my googling are equine vets or cat/dog vets.I'll be going to the vets office tomorrow for my dog so maybe they can refer me to someone. I also have a neighbor that raised dairy goats so I'll ask her tomorrow if she knows someone. We had a good vet back in Colorado since goats and other livestock were everywhere, but since we've moved to southern Cali, I've mostly seen dogs, cats, and horses.

I'll keep y'all updated on my finds :)

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would ask the horse vet more then the cat and dog vet. They probaly have some experience with other live stock however that being said they might not have experience with goats they tend to be a hard animal to find a vet for. I will say that i would be shocked if it was just bloat considering how quick she went down but could have been. Personally I agree with Jan as to not feed. Trimmings of tree if you do not know if they are safe. Most of the time goats will not eat to much something that is toxic they tend to browse. I have goats eating oaks and other poisonous plants not out of me trying to feed them it but out of them beating me to it or me not knowing its there. They haven't had an issue. The biggest problem with goats is sudden changes in diet. And a large amount of grain or any feed other then hay and plant matter. Now it they had been on a dry lot and then turned loose into green field that would cause issues along with a large amount of trimming give if they aren't use to them. When changing there diet with anything gradually do it. I am sorry you lost her some times they show no signs until its to late unforantly for us to do anything. Finding a good mentor and a vet would be the best thing for you. Also reading all you can on them helps. Most of my knowledge comes from reading and asking others. We all start somewhere and some toads are harder then others. Our first year kidding we lost a kid that was hard. Second near i had already learned about all the minerals and viatimens they need and start giving supplements earlier and we got two sets of very healthy twins. Take your time and give yourself some grace even when you get the results back as you can't go back and change anything but you can change and be ready for the same thing in the future and acquire more knowledge as to you continue in your journey.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
will say that i would be shocked if it was just bloat considering how quick she went down but could have been.
Totally agree with this statement!

I'm sorry you lost your goat. I wonder about a diagnosis of bloat. Generally speaking a severely bloated goat isn't screaming in pain - it is working hard to just breathe. And for the goat to actually drop dead also isn't generally a bloat issue - they would die rather slowly from respiratory distress. Without seeing your goat I can't say any of these things as certainty, but I would certainly try to think of other causes - just to keep your other goats safe.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
On snake bites it depends on the location of the bite. Most of the time it takes a while before you expire from that you become sick first. We had dogs bitten by a venomous snakes and they survived the ordeal with very little issue outside of localized tissue problems such as the muscle death and threat of infection.

Bird Whisperer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Jesusfreak101 @B&B Happy goats

I went to our vet's office this morning for a follow up on our pug (she just got spayed) and I asked if they knew any large animal vet that would be able to help. I explained our situation and the vet tech/receptionist I spoke to was suspecting she got bit or ate something toxic.

I called the number she gave me and they forwarded me to a lab that's a couple hours away from where I am. I'm still debating if I should drive up there or not.

There is a somewhat large goat farm not too far from here - I'm thinking to stop by and just talk to them. Maybe they know someone or have had a similar experience.

The more I look into our situation the more I think some kind of toxin was involved. After she collapsed, she started convulsing and having seizures. Her belly was definitely bloating and she was burping a lot but I think that may just be a side effect of what ever was happening.

Anyway, I'll keep y'all updated and probably won't be throwing so many clippings over the fence to the rest of our boys.

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and advice :)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am really sorry about the goat and not being more help.... and I do think that it was something toxic/poisonous that affected her.
Going to the goat farm sounds like the best lead on a possible large animal/goat vet . As I mentioned, wild cherry is not toxic if they eat the green leaves right off the branch, or the dried ones..... but wilted (limp) they will kill a cow quickly. So maybe something they ate was at the wrong stage.....
Sad lesson learned. Now, here's hoping you can connect with the people at the goat farm and find someone (a vet) you can rely on in an emergency that they trust.... and even to be able to call them as "neighbors" for advise.
Hey I've been doing cattle for a few decades, and I still call people for some things....
Better reinforced thoughts than to not do things the best that they could be done. And sometimes it is just better to ask the "same dumb question a dozen times" than to not ask because it was the "same dumb question" and you get it wrong.

Bird Whisperer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@farmerjan I think there was some bad plant in the mix (my mom said she was pulling the overgrown daisies and tossed them over the fence). Or since the pen is along side the street, someone may have tossed something into their pen without knowing it was bad (I hope not, but it's possible).
It'd be great if I could get a hold of the goat farm for advice in the future like you said.

Another quick question - we're now left with 5 wethers and they all seem confused. We took her out of the pen and brought her to the garage to assess her and since we haven't brought her back, they boys are all crying toward the garage. I feel so sorry for them but I don't really know what to do :(

Latest posts