Goat shelter

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could frame out the shelter in wood, like in @BarnOwl's picture and use the panels I suggested instead of the tin panels. The suggested panels will work well on the roof and sides and are lighter/easier to handle and cut.

As to how tall before they can't jump on the roof... darn good question. We have some shelters that are 4 feet tall and they jump on that. We locate the shelters so they are not close to fencing as we worried about the wee darlings getting on the roof and jumping out. We have one doe that liked to jump on the roof and pop over the fence into the geese yard. She soon discovered that it wasn't all that much fun with the geese. We moved the shelter 4 feet from the fence and she didn't do that any more.

With the slope in the roof, to allow runoff, your goats may decide it isn't much fun to get up on a roof they are going to slide off of... really disrupts sleeping. :)

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You could frame out the shelter in wood, like in @BarnOwl's picture and use the panels I suggested instead of the tin panels. The suggested panels will work well on the roof and sides and are lighter/easier to handle and cut.

As to how tall before they can't jump on the roof... darn good question. We have some shelters that are 4 feet tall and they jump on that. We locate the shelters so they are not close to fencing as we worried about the wee darlings getting on the roof and jumping out. We have one doe that liked to jump on the roof and pop over the fence into the geese yard. She soon discovered that it wasn't all that much fun with the geese. We moved the shelter 4 feet from the fence and she didn't do that any more.

With the slope in the roof, to allow runoff, your goats may decide it isn't much fun to get up on a roof they are going to slide off of... really disrupts sleeping. :)
Thank you! Apparently Texas has this thing called Agrilife Extension from Texas A&M. I had no idea this existed! It's a free to use service and someone comes and teaches you whatever you need... for instance. I called to see if they had someone to help me trim the goats hooves the first time, as I do not have my stand yet. Not only did he show me how and do it.. he gave me pointers on the fencing, and how big to make their shelter and where to put it. He said if my 2 goats could jump on the roof..they would be super goats. Lol. Anyway, I had no idea the counties in TX provided this service. I am so excited. There is a wide variety of things they help with. He even told me about my grass, trees, plants...how to trim them. They are such a great source of information for farmers, ranchers,gardeners. I was so excited to find out all this information and to know this is a free service. Best thing I have found so far as far services. And of course all your knowledge, Amazing! I am going to be so smart! 😃

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
how are your goats and your shelter coming along? I was looking through some of my old files and found this link to a guy who makes hoop-like shelters for his goats out of PVC. They aren't too pretty but if they're out in a field where no one sees them, who cares, and PVC would be easier to haul around than the metal and wood shelter I currently have. I found them when I was looking up information to build hoop coops, but I don't have a truck/trailer yet and so bringing home cattle panels is complicated.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
how are your goats and your shelter coming along? I was looking through some of my old files and found this link to a guy who makes hoop-like shelters for his goats out of PVC. They aren't too pretty but if they're out in a field where no one sees them, who cares, and PVC would be easier to haul around than the metal and wood shelter I currently have. I found them when I was looking up information to build hoop coops, but I don't have a truck/trailer yet and so bringing home cattle panels is complicated.

We are still in progress but here are some pics. We used the pic of yours to create ours. So thank you! We need to finish the roof. We are closing the sides a little more and closing off half the front and putting shingles on the roof. I also need to seal the wood. Once we are done I will share more pics. Hopefully we will get it done this weekend!

Attachments

• 20210822_181415.jpg
    20210822_181415.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 260
  • 20210823_100228.jpg
    20210823_100228.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 261

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Each county has an Agrilife extension office. Yu can also get bags to take soil samples of your land and send in to find our what kind of soil you have and what nutrients it needs. Also sign up for notifications of classes and seminars. A lot of them are free, some of them charge, but they are good sources of information and learning about ag in your area.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Each county has an Agrilife extension office. Yu can also get bags to take soil samples of your land and send in to find our what kind of soil you have and what nutrients it needs. Also sign up for notifications of classes and seminars. A lot of them are free, some of them charge, but they are good sources of information and learning about ag in your area.
I had no idea this was a thing. It's so great. I asked them to add me to the newsletter. I am really pumped about it.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The seminars are great. We used to go to them here in our state until they stopped having them locally - no ag. I am on the Wood county list and will register on the Hopkins County list as well. If you have children, ask about 4-H clubs in your area too.

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The seminars are great. We used to go to them here in our state until they stopped having them locally - no ag. I am on the Wood county list and will register on the Hopkins County list as well. If you have children, ask about 4-H clubs in your area too.
Yeah, they guy that helped me trim the goats hooves told me about the 4H. My kids are grown but I have grandchildren. Hopefully my daughter will get them in it. My grandson, who is just old enough to join loved my chickens. I would love to see him get involved.