goat skin condition? flaky skin? dandruff?

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmm, I will have to try the sunflower seeds on mine. It seems weird to me that it's just the two old does, the younger animals, all on the same diet, are shiny and soft and not flaky at all...weird.

I used to give dull-coated or flaky horses a little corn oil and vitamin E capsules (the kind sold for people) in their feed to help get them shiny again. Maybe that would help my goats and yours? Worth a try.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ariel301 said:
Hmm, I will have to try the sunflower seeds on mine. It seems weird to me that it's just the two old does, the younger animals, all on the same diet, are shiny and soft and not flaky at all...weird.
The expectation I used to have was that if I fed all my goats the same, they should all be in the same shape, carry the same level of condition, etc.. What I found, though, was that some got fat, some stayed thin, some were nice and slick coated, some had dry skin, etc. -- even though all were on the same feeding regimen.

When I really thought about it, I came to the conclusion that my original expectations were pretty unreasonable to begin with. Afterall, people don't work that way, so why should any other animal? For instance...my brother always ate terribly, but stayed thin. I, on the other hand, would take a salad over a candy bar any day of the week, but I was always heavier. He had a hard time building muscle, whereas I'm stockier and build muscle pretty easily. He's about 5'10"...I'm 6'1"... Yet, we came from the same 'stock'!

If we were livestock, there's no way we would ever look the same, nor carry the same level of condition even if we were on the same feeding regimen.

Once I realized that, I started more of an effort to feed each animal according to that individual animal's needs. Not only are my animals in better shape, but my feed and hay bills have gone down considerably.

I used to give dull-coated or flaky horses a little corn oil and vitamin E capsules (the kind sold for people) in their feed to help get them shiny again. Maybe that would help my goats and yours? Worth a try.
I was speaking with another goat person recently, and he told me about something he'd heard about the critical role of Vitamin E in a goat's ability to put Selenium to use.. What he indicated to me -- and I haven't really even tried to verify this, but -- was that BoSe was way short on Vit. E for the amount of Selenium that's being administered in goats.. Whoever was telling him this had taken to administering BoSe with an additional amount of Vitamin E. at the same time, and was supposedly having really good results.

That being said...if it's true...I'd say most folks' goats could probably benefit from a little extra Vitamin E, if only to help them utilize the Selenium that we all know is absolutely critical to a goat's overall health.