goat skin condition? flaky skin? dandruff?

cleo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello, it's me again.
This time I'm asking about my Mom's goat Mavis. Mavis has flaky, dry skin (kind of like dandruff) from her neck down her back, but not on her sides. Her hair thins out in this area as well. She doesn't fuss over it, but she loves it when we brush the area. We noticed that it cycles. It will go away and then come back. With regular brushing, it seems to go away faster. Molly, my Mom's other goat, doesn't have it now and never has.
Can anyone help? Thanks!

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A good skin condition that I've found is M-T-G. Tractor Supply sells it in the horse supply section. You just put it on (use gloves as it could get a bit messy), rub it in, and let it dry naturally.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Feed Mavis about a half cup of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds every day. It is high in fat and will really help her skin and coat.

DonnaBelle

ThornyRidge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
make sure you have a good loose goat mineral out and fresh at all times.. you could also consider giving some mineral max (it is a gel like substance that is not dosed for goats butyou can dose according to weight) get it from livestock supply companies on line.. it is blue in color and stains so be careful and recommend to keep it in fridge! you could also pick up some zinc picolinate capsules from a health food store in your area if you have one and drop a couple in the grain or attempt to get them to take some other way... I have found with a couple of my goats zinc works good.. you also could be looking at a copper issue too.. so definately get some good minerals out.

mdoerge

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ThornyRidge said:
... you could also pick up some zinc picolinate capsules from a health food store in your area if you have one and drop a couple in the grain or attempt to get them to take some other way... I have found with a couple of my goats zinc works good.. you also could be looking at a copper issue too.. so definately get some good minerals out.
What is zinc picolinate? I just looked at the bottle of zinc I have - it is zinc gluconate. Is the picolinate better?

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have two older does that have been really flaky like that too since I bought them. The younger goats that have been born and raised on my property are not flaky, and they all eat the same thing...? Does this tend to happen as they get old? They don't seem itchy or anything, just overly flaky.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Feed them a little grain with flax seed oil, or borage oil on top (3-4 table spoons for first two weeks) then 1-2 table spoons for a month or so. Great for their health and their dry skin.

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
DonnaBelle said:
Feed Mavis about a half cup of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds every day. It is high in fat and will really help her skin and coat.

DonnaBelle
LOL I was gonna say that! :plbb