Goat: SNAKEBITE (Copperhead~updated) (It's Socrates)

Godsgrl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I just have to add here, something I learned in snakebite class a few years back. NEVER ICE A SNAKEBITE Somehow, it can react with the venom, and cause loss of tissue. This is the first thing the instructors taught us, and what they impressed on us the most. NO ICE Fluids (IV) keep the victim quiet, and emergency care, but no ice. This applies to humans and animals. Glad Socrates is okay.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Godsgrl said:
I just have to add here, something I learned in snakebite class a few years back. NEVER ICE A SNAKEBITE Somehow, it can react with the venom, and cause loss of tissue. This is the first thing the instructors taught us, and what they impressed on us the most. NO ICE Fluids (IV) keep the victim quiet, and emergency care, but no ice. This applies to humans and animals. Glad Socrates is okay.
One thing to remember here is that Socrates had a secondary reaction........not just snakebite, but an analytically allergic reaction to the snakebite. Cold is often a treatment for this as it lessen the bodies need for oxygen, causes bronchial tubes to dilate, and lowers the rising body temp as they struggle to breath.

Ice doesnt really react with the venom, but it can expedite the degenerate of already damaged tissue in some cases. It can also inhibit the absorption of anti-venom, but since I could not use anti-venom on a goat, this was of no concern. In a dire emergency, I'd rather have loss of tissue that I can possily heal than a dead animal to bury.

In this case, ice was needed. His was swelling enough that it was cutting off the airway, and that had to be slowed down long enough for the meds to work. The ice did slow down and even reverse the swelling enough to keep him from asphyxiating.

Anyway, he is doing good. I saddle bagged him for what I think will be the last time, gave him another shot of steroid, b complex, the last dose of redcell (he is pinking back up) and some probios. He's lost an amazing amount of weight in 24 hours.

edited to add: I meant to also thank Godsgrl for adding that information. She is right, if the swelling is not life threatening and one intends to use anti-venom, it's best to not ice.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I know I said I'd update in my journal, but I thought this would be beneficial to anyone doing a search on snakebite.

I just walked down to the barn to marinade the goat in some more frozen peas, and look who came out to greet me!

2952_snakebite_2.jpg

I didnt get any pics during the worst of it, I was just too busy. But if you'll look closely, you'll see a "Pooch" hanging, almost like a jowl on his neck. This is stretched out skin from where he was so badly swollen yesterday. There is still some swelling in his eyes, and one side of his jaw is pretty badly swollen and one nostril is still swollen shut. This was a little more than 24 hours after the bite, and after ALOT of medication and work to bring down the swelling. He is drinking plenty, the thirst has set in (good thing!) and is starting to eat a little. His poop is runny, but not horribly so. No fever, no heat in the swollen area. You can see in his eyes that he just doesnt feel good, poor guy. It's still pretty painful. The inside of his mouth is still pretty swollen, and bruised. It's very painful to him, so I didn't have the heart to hold his mouth open for a pic.

Doc was back out today, after seeing the foal he came over to check him out and felt confident that we were out of the woods. So, tomorrow, I'll start some mild moist heat therapy to bring in added bloodflow to the area in an attempt to prevent any more permanent damage. I'll also start giving him small amounts of grain to prevent any more loss of condition. He's lost ALOT in just two days...........6 pounds!!!! :hit

the pics:

2952_snakebite_1.jpg

2952_snakebite_3.jpg

2952_snakebite_4.jpg

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I can see in his eyes he just doesn't feel well at all!!

He looks like he's been on a three day drunk, but didn't get to taste anything good!!

Poor goat!! I hope he'll be feeling better soon.

Good job, RTG. And you have a great vet for coming right out. I shudder to think of your coming vet bill.

DonnaBelle

redtailgal

Reaction score
Well, donnabelle, that's where Socrates and I are so lucky.

I work with this vet (and have for over 20 years), and only got charged at cost. 60 bucks. Thats all. I love my vet. I am VERY fortunate.

edited for spelling

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
I work with this vet (and have for over 20 years), and only got charged at cost. 60 bucks. Thats all. I love my vet. I am VERY fortunate.

edited for spelling
So THAT is what they mean when they say "Hard work is it's own reward". :lol:

Seriously though, SO glad your boy is OK. I was going to take a nap after being at the hospital all night with my Sis, and thought I will read a couple journals first, went to yours and couldn't believe it. We have copperheads here, so your information is good to have, just so sorry it came at Socrates' expense. You can see in his eyes he would 'just like to rest now, thank you mommy'. Here is a :hugs for you, and one :hugs for him too!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I am really glad you posted this information. I just moved to an area with these kinds of snakes and wouldn't have known the first thing about how to treat a snakebite for my goats. I will read and print this article. THANKS RTG.

Latest posts