Goat squeeze chute ? Home made ?

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I need to handle my goats . I don't have enough to justify spending the money for a manufactured squeeze chute . Anybody build their own ? I did a search but came up empty .Any help would be greatly appreciated.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
What kind of goats do you have? I have Nigerian Dwarfs and when I need to handle them for shots or hoof trimming I use the milking stand. Some of the bucks' necks are too large for the bar to close on the milking stand so those guys get tied to a heavy fence and get trimmed.

I've seen head restraints you can buy that get attached to a fence so you don't need the entire milking stand.

There are times when a chute restraint would be handy, like treating a wound... so I'll be watching to see what others reply.

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What kind of goats do you have? I have Nigerian Dwarfs and when I need to handle them for shots or hoof trimming I use the milking stand. Some of the bucks' necks are too large for the bar to close on the milking stand so those guys get tied to a heavy fence and get trimmed.

I've seen head restraints you can buy that get attached to a fence so you don't need the entire milking stand.

There are times when a chute restraint would be handy, like treating a wound... so I'll be watching to see what others reply.
In the old days yes I would do the same . I have one Nigerian Buck .Two I don't know what does . Two young does from them by him .I just bought six at a sale . Two Boer does and four Boer cross bred does about 2 or 3 months old . One of those has a runny nose and weeping eyes . I will treat it the hard way . I'll build one as soon as I have time . Age is telling me to make life easier on my body . When I replace the buck, I intend to get as large a meat type buck as I can find . It is easier on animals with squeeze shuts and head catches . Me too :lol:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we started our research we found a ton of plans at Universities that have a large Ag program. The link below is Oregon State and has links to several areas including plans.

Using the term "sheep goat handling plans" usually brings up a bunch of links. University of Maryland extension also had a good number of plans but I found that most Extension activities had many of the same plans.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/crook/ag/livestock

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When we started our research we found a ton of plans at Universities that have a large Ag program. The link below is Oregon State and has links to several areas including plans.

Using the term "sheep goat handling plans" usually brings up a bunch of links. University of Maryland extension also had a good number of plans but I found that most Extension activities had many of the same plans.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/crook/ag/livestock
Thanks I'll give it a look . So far I've found only pictures on the net .Some where I have head catches I made for cattle . And a full squeeze Shute for cattle . It doesn't need to be like that though . I have been thinking about this a lot . I am starting to map out a plan in my head. I want fully functional including being able to hold kids for disbudding . I notice your close to me kinda sorta . I'm just a smidgen west of middle Tn.Went to Manchester to the graded sheep and goat sale last Friday. That's where the little does came from . Had a ball but the auctioneer was a bit hard to understand .

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I was first figuring out how to do their feet... I was looking on you tube. ..

in one video the guy had something that looked like a lawn chair, at a 45 degree angle. He showed how he easily kind of tripped the goat into this thing. The goat was then on its back in the lawn chair with all 4 feet in the air... pretty helpless and easy for the guy work with.

This guy was a one man show... which is why he had it set up like that.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm in between Lewisburg and Pulaski. I have some of the plans on those sites if I can find them since it has been awhile.

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When I was first figuring out how to do their feet... I was looking on you tube. ..

in one video the guy had something that looked like a lawn chair, at a 45 degree angle. He showed how he easily kind of tripped the goat into this thing. The goat was then on its back in the lawn chair with all 4 feet in the air... pretty helpless and easy for the guy work with.

This guy was a one man show... which is why he had it set up like that.
Saw those and still trying to figure how to teach the goat to get in the chair . I can rope and tie the goat but I don't like getting down on the ground with it .

I'm in between Lewisburg and Pulaski. I have some of the plans on those sites if I can find them since it has been awhile.
I have found the same plan twice at different colleges .squeeze tables but no head gate . They love those things at every company I have found too. :thI would like to at least attempt to show some kind of profit before I die .I don't know if you can open this or not . it's a tilting squeeze table for sheep . but no head gate .

Attachments

• 6006.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 537

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
DS Livestock Equipment has the headgate that we bought. Considering what it does it is affordable and would work with a DIY chute system. We were fortunate enough to get what we needed to be in place before we got too old to enjoy what we were doing. I was 67 when we started so profit was never a sure thing but we are there already. That is if I don't include the fence and the shelters, and the barn shelter, and you get the idea. :)

The manual head gate we bought is a fair way down the page. They have a more expensive one but it is a waste of dollars.

https://www.dslivestock.biz/products/category/handling-systems-components-sheep/

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Saw those and still trying to figure how to teach the goat to get in the chair . I can rope and tie the goat but I don't like getting down on the ground with it .
I was just now looking, trying to find it again and couldn't.

But I thought he had an easy way that he just tumped them in. :hu