Goat standing weird with abscesses on neck

Jaime

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a friend who i'm posting this for. She has a goat that has had abscesses on it's neck for months. it started out as just one but they seem to be all over his neck now. They've had vets come out to check him. he tested negative for CL. We've lanced them. The puss is very "chunky" And about the size of a golf ball. And the skin around it just dies and falls off. The goat itself acts normal but now recently it's been starting to walk with his legs wayyy hunched beneath him. he's given vitamin B paste, loose minerals, and meat maker goat pellets.
We have no idea what good be the problem with this poor goat. Has anyone ever dealt with this before with goats? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Here are some current pictures of the goat. I'll try and get a better picture of the abscesses from her.

(I also wanted to add that the goat itself smells like death)
16659.jpeg
16639.jpeg

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
He's in a lot of discomfort intestinally. That's what that position tends to mean. He should be checked for coccidia, but I think he has something else serious going on. Did he have the puss from an abscess tested? That is the best way to rule out CL.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would remove him from the rest of the goats ASAP, (not that that will protect those already exposed) I am not sure what it is but if he smells like death then your friend best be ready for the worst....goats are not fighters for their lifes...ask the vet to look at the goat so your friend can find out if it's contagious and how to protect the rest of the herd ,,,,

Jaime

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He's in a lot of discomfort intestinally. That's what that position tends to mean. He should be checked for coccidia, but I think he has something else serious going on. Did he have the puss from an abscess tested? That is the best way to rule out CL.
Yes, The puss was tested for for CL. So he's clear for that. When he walks his back legs just kind of drag beneath him.

I would remove him from the rest of the goats ASAP, (not that that will protect those already exposed) I am not sure what it is but if he smells like death then your friend best be ready for the worst....goats are not fighters for their lifes...ask the vet to look at the goat so your friend can find out if it's contagious and how to protect the rest of the herd ,,,,
He was removed from his herd a few months ago. I believe she told me that her vet said if it was contagious that her other goats would probably be showing signs of it by now.
When you lance the abscess, and it's "chunky" , is the content white or yellow ?
It's yellow. Sometimes it comes out in small little chunks and sometimes in a ball the size of a golf ball. We were thinking maybe it could be cancerous cysts?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I sure hope your friend gets a answer shortly, and am happy to read that the vet said the other goats would of shown by now...even happier to read that this guy was removed from the others. Please keep us posted on what the end results are...it's a learning experience for anyone interested in goat health.
Sure do wish your friend the best outcome and wish I had the answer for you :hugs

Jaime

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm wondering if he has internal abscesses....poor guy. He definitely needs some help...either to stay in this world or to exit out of it. :(
Possibly. She's already spent so much on him with all the vet visits.. But it's starting to look like we might have to put him down. The poor thing acts like there's nothing wrong and just looking at him makes you feel guilty for keeping him alive :\ Hopefully we can figure what's wrong with him soon.

I sure hope your friend gets a answer shortly, and am happy to read that the vet said the other goats would of shown by now...even happier to read that this guy was removed from the others. Please keep us posted on what the end results are...it's a learning experience for anyone interested in goat health.
Sure do wish your friend the best outcome and wish I had the answer for you :hugs
Thank you for your input, It's definitely helpful. I'll definitely keep you updated!