goat taming

goat500

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i have a wether that will eat out of my hand and will come near me but i want to get him to follow me and to let me pet him without having to grab him and is it posable to make him come when called. His name is Skippy.

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
goat500 said:
i have a wether that will eat out of my hand and will come near me but i want to get him to follow me and to let me pet him without having to grab him and is it posable to make him come when called. His name is Skippy.
I assume you have a buddy for Skippy, no?

Our wether is like that too. Just give him time. IF you grab his collar give him a small reward so he wont be trying to pull away. Then, just let him go. Our wether still won't let you pet him w/o holding him, but give Skippy a bit to think "Hey, I just got grain when she grabbed my collar". If you reallly want to pet him, if you have a shelter just sit down in there with him give him grain or some other treat but put it in a bucket or something so its HARD for him to eat it but POSSIBLE, therefore keeping him busy. Just remember to watch out for UC. What temperament is his goat buddy? Ours is pushy, so naturally her friend (our wether) is curious and is slowly learning we're not terrible :)

Hope this helps ! :)

goat500

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
His sister is super shy and wont even come near me but he is tamer so i thought if i get him super tame she will accept me. She always hides behind him when i go in the stall. He is really curios.

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a wether who is just like yours. He wasn't handled much before I got him, so he was a bit on the skittish side. Still not big on being touched, but he does like being around people.

Treats, treats, and more treats are the key. I used them to gain his trust. First, I worked on lead training him. Once he was good on that, he and I would go for regular walks. Always with treats in my pocket. After a while, I just let his lead drag on the ground while he and I go out, because he learned to follow me. If he gets too far away distracted by nibbling on browse), a quick call and he is back with me (and he then gets a treat). I actually started dropping the lead because I was cutting browse for my other goats. I knew he wouldn't go far, but even with that 'freedom' he stayed close to me. So I started walking back to the goat pasture, and he stayed on my heels. I don't think I'd ever go out with him without a lead on, in case he gets scared and bolts, I have something to grab. And since I am right there, he won't get hung up in anything.

Have you heard of clicker training? It is often used for dogs. But if your goat is a foodie like mine, it is a GREAT way to get him to learn simple commands. My goats get so overeager when they see me with the clicker and the target in my hand. Literally, in the first session, they had 'touch' the target down perfectly. If you want an inspiration, this is a wonderful video of a goat named Stella and her dedicated owner demonstrating what she has learned during her clicker training. Goats are super smart, and they seem to have fun. It offers them a slight challenge in exchange for treats, hah.

zelloniszoo

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
i have a lil dairy mix girl who i swear thinks she is a dog......follows me everywhere.....i always held he after we got her and her sister is the complete opposite......in fact the tame girl pulled on my camera strap the other day till i took her pic.....i just sit in the pasture and let them come to me and sniff me and just kinda get to learn that im not gonna hurt them or grab them

oh and mine go CRAZY:weee for animal crackers.....they will all chase me down to get them