Goat Transport Pen for Pickup Truck

What Have You Herd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm getting my goats soon and don't want to tow a trailer for such a small load. I've decided to build a transport pen out of goat panels, but I'm not sure about the bottom of the pen. I saw a pen with a wood floor (old privacy fence boards), but my concern is for traction. Would a rubber floor mat make better flooring?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would definitely put a rubber mat down. You could even put some pine shavings over it to soak up any urine.

What Have You Herd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Karen - Thanks for your input. The rubber mat will make the trip safer and more comfortable for the goats. Pine shavings are an excellent idea as well.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a piece of old carpet with about 8 inches of pine shavings on top. This is in the back of my pickup with a camper shell top. The goats do fine.

What Have You Herd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That's a great use for old carpet. Wish I had a camper shell to provide some shade. I've considered making a fitted tarp. I figured a snug tarp wouldn't flap.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What Have You Herd said:
That's a great use for old carpet. Wish I had a camper shell to provide some shade. I've considered making a fitted tarp. I figured a snug tarp wouldn't flap.
Camper shell was $40 on Craigslist.

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We made a wood box out of scrap 2x4's as a frame and attached a pallet to the top (measure you pallet first to see how big your box needs to be). It does really help to have a rubber mat in the back of the truck and a tarp just in case of a downpour.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I don't have goats, but when I need to transport just one or two sheep, I get out the dog kennel (bull mastiff size), put it in the back of the truck, tie it down with bungee cords, back up to the loading chute, and load the sheep. I put about one flake of straw down per sheep I have in there, which helps to absorb the pee and hide the manure.

What Have You Herd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A big dog crate sounds like a great alternative when only moving one or two. Thanks!
Since two adults will load and unload, and the goats are only five months old, I was planning to lift each goat into the truck. Does anyone have any advice/thoughts/opinions about loading this way? Should I build a ramp?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
What kind of goats are you getting? Lifting them into the bed should be fine so long as they aren't huge (don't want to hurt yourself). I wouldn't bother with a ramp at this point but my goats only weigh about 70 pounds full grown. I also doubt mine would have willingly tramped up and down a ramp when I first picked them up (they were a little freaked about leaving their home, poor things). Good luck and I hope we'll see pictures of your new goats soon.