Goat treats for babies

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I would also be asking the seller for a refund! When a goat dies within 24 hours of you taking possession, the issue existed before you got it. I would also try to get the dead goat sent off for a necropsy to see what killed it. As Babs said, YES, you should be worried about the other one. If the first died of cocccidiosis (cocci) then there's a real good chance the survivor has it as well and it kills fast. The only way to know for sure is to get a fecal done (bring the goat with you if you can) by a vet or at a vet's office or by someone who knows what they're looking for.

Really sorry you've started your journey with goats on this very sad note. If you can get the survivor a goat friend, it would be best. They really do better being with another.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh sweet @pigeongirl !!! I'm so sorry to hear you lost your little guy so soon! I know you are devastated! @babsbag and @Latestarter gave you good advise.

Your new kids most likely had parasites, from the git-go, as it's almost impossible to avoid them on the farm. The problem comes when an animal is under stress (i.e. From moving them to a new location, or having kids, etc.), there is a "bloom" or overgrowth of the parasites, which depending on how severe, can make the animal sick.

That is why having a fecal test done, by a vet (or someone who knows how to do it), right away, when you get a new goat (or any farm animal) is important. When we got our new dairy goats, one had a high parasite load and one did not. So, we were able to treat the one with a high count (although she did not appear to be sick) right away, and she is doing fine.

Please have the survivor seen, by a Vet, and let us know how things go with him. And as advised, please do get him a companion ASAP, so he doesn't get lonely, as goats are social animals.

pigeongirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Wow. I am so sorry you lost a baby, that is no way to start out with goats. Did the seller give you any help with them, advice, etc. I wouldn't worry about it being contagious but I would be worried about cocci. Is he on a bottle? What are you feeding? Did you have to change formula? If you can post all the details, age, feed, vaccines, history, etc. we can all help you better if you need it. I would get a fecal done, take it to a vet ASAP. If you can take the goat that is even better but at least get some goat berries and take those in and get the fecal.

He is going to need a buddy, goats always do better with at least two.

Again, sorry you lost a kid. :(
Thank you The guy I got them from gave me no advice at all and wont awnser me now. He is on a bottle 2 times a day 8 oz each of goat milk replacer that i bought at fleet farm. I dont know what the guy gave the in terms of brand. He wont tell me. He is 2-3 weeks old never had any thung but milk replacement. But He has been eating grass and oats now As far as I know he has no vaccines. And I have no history . The one that passed would get sicker after drinking a bottle which he barley would do.

Last edited:

pigeongirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I would also be asking the seller for a refund! When a goat dies within 24 hours of you taking possession, the issue existed before you got it. I would also try to get the dead goat sent off for a necropsy to see what killed it. As Babs said, YES, you should be worried about the other one. If the first died of cocccidiosis (cocci) then there's a real good chance the survivor has it as well and it kills fast. The only way to know for sure is to get a fecal done (bring the goat with you if you can) by a vet or at a vet's office or by someone who knows what they're looking for.

Really sorry you've started your journey with goats on this very sad note. If you can get the survivor a goat friend, it would be best. They really do better being with another.
I have tried to get in contact with the seller and he will not talk to me, The one that passed away was getting sicker when we fed him the milk. So maybe it was something to do with the milk? He never really ate much The other goat is eating way more and better than the other.

pigeongirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Oh sweet @pigeongirl !!! I'm so sorry to hear you lost your little guy so soon! I know you are devastated! @babsbag and @Latestarter gave you good advise.

Your new kids most likely had parasites, from the git-go, as it's almost impossible to avoid them on the farm. The problem comes when an animal is under stress (i.e. From moving them to a new location, or having kids, etc.), there is a "bloom" or overgrowth of the parasites, which depending on how severe, can make the animal sick.

That is why having a fecal test done, by a vet (or someone who knows how to do it), right away, when you get a new goat (or any farm animal) is important. When we got our new dairy goats, one had a high parasite load and one did not. So, we were able to treat the one with a high count (although she did not appear to be sick) right away, and she is doing fine.

Please have the survivor seen, by a Vet, and let us know how things go with him. And as advised, please do get him a companion ASAP, so he doesn't get lonely, as goats are social animals.
Thank you. I will let you know what happends

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sellers like that infuriate me. I wish you were closer, I could set you up with some nice little healthy boys for pets. If these are standard sized goats that isn't enough food. At three weeks they should be eating about 12 oz. 3 times a day. But increase it slowly with his history. They are really too young to have parasites but they could have cocci which isn't a "worm" and it is treated differently. I would get that fecal to the vet.

He also needs that CDT vaccine at 3 weeks so right about now. You can raise them on whole cow's milk from the grocery store. If he is doing ok on the replacer I wouldn't switch him but some goats don't do well on it all. If you do switch him over start adding a small amount of milk to each bottle and gradually increase it.

Hope he continues to do well.

pigeongirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sellers like that infuriate me. I wish you were closer, I could set you up with some nice little healthy boys for pets. If these are standard sized goats that isn't enough food. At three weeks they should be eating about 12 oz. 3 times a day. But increase it slowly with his history. They are really too young to have parasites but they could have cocci which isn't a "worm" and it is treated differently. I would get that fecal to the vet.

He also needs that CDT vaccine at 3 weeks so right about now. You can raise them on whole cow's milk from the grocery store. If he is doing ok on the replacer I wouldn't switch him but some goats don't do well on it all. If you do switch him over start adding a small amount of milk to each bottle and gradually increase it.

Hope he continues to do well.
Thank you I will contact the vet today. Also he is an alpine so should he have more milk? And is he ok to be eating oats and grass?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
At 3 weeks, they might nibble and experiment with grass/hay/grain/boards/trees/bark/your pants leg/anything else they can get their mouth on. But their rumen hasn't developed enough yet to survive or allow them to thrive and grow to full potential on just those things. They still need milk. But yes, you should make hay/grass/grains (in moderation)/leaves/bush branches/goat feed available for him/them to try and adjust to over time. An Alpine is a full sized goat so it will need more milk/food than what you're presently feeding. Some wean their goats at 8 weeks, others not until 16 weeks (more so with full sized goats vice minis or dwarf goats), and still others let them "self wean" if dam raised.

Hoping for a good news update! :pop:caf

pigeongirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you I will contacto our vet today and I will give hime mor milk
At 3 weeks, they might nibble and experiment with grass/hay/grain/boards/trees/bark/your pants leg/anything else they can get their mouth on. But their rumen hasn't developed enough yet to survive or allow them to thrive and grow to full potential on just those things. They still need milk. But yes, you should make hay/grass/grains (in moderation)/leaves/bush branches/goat feed available for him/them to try and adjust to over time. An Alpine is a full sized goat so it will need more milk/food than what you're presently feeding. Some wean their goats at 8 weeks, others not until 16 weeks (more so with full sized goats vice minis or dwarf goats), and still others let them "self wean" if dam raised.

Hoping for a good news update! :pop:caf
Thank you. I was told I could wean them at 6 weeks is this true?

pigeongirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The guy that I bought them from texted me and siad sorry to hear that. And thats all he said

Latest posts