Goat treats for babies

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Nice guy :somad:rant most of my goat knowledge (98%) is trained vice experienced as I just got my goats a month ago, though I've been preparing for them for over 2 years.

IMHO, 6 weeks is really too early... especially for a full sized goat... I don't know of anyone that weans before 8 weeks, and mostly that's with smaller goats, not full sized... :idunno @Goat Whisperer (recommends longer than 8 weeks. multiple breeds, large and small) @babsbag (does all her goats at 8 weeks many are alpine) @OneFineAcre @ragdollcatlady @frustratedearthmother @animalmom or any of the dozens of other goat owners want to chime in? If the baby were with the mother and dam raised, she would let the baby nurse for varying lengths of time, primarily dependent on her health, food quantity and quality, and the size/health of the kid(s). The mom would eventually kick the kid off, at the latest before her next kids were due.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do wean at 8 weeks if I have a buyer lined up otherwise they stay with their dams until I sell them, but never before 8 weeks. I had one weaned at 6 weeks when his dam died and he wouldn't transition to a bottle but I wouldn't wean that early if I didn't have to.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do wean at 8 weeks for nigerian boys, if mom is in with the regular doe herd. Bigger goats I let stay with mom until 12 weeks. If I am bottle feeding or supplementing, somewhere around 10 weeks, I try and harden myself up, convincing myself they won't actually die from lack of bottles, despite the pitiful whining and crying, as they are already eating a ton of grain/hay and other stuff already. I usually replace the noon bottle with a grain/pellet feeding to keep them busy.
Girls can stay with mom until sold or until I separate for breeding season.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry you lost your kid!
What a terrible way to start out :hit
You need to talk to a vet asap.

I know many on her are thinking cocci, but I don't think so.

A two week old kid can very well have cocci, but it would be very unlikely for the kid to die within hours of arriving home from cocci. It wouldn't have had time to "build up" so to speak and kill the kid that quickly. A necropsy is a must.

This very could have been the switch in milk replacer. THAT can kill a kid easily and in the timeframe you gave. Seeing how he got worse after the bottle that would be in indicator. I would be loading this kid up with probiotics and possible B complex injections as well.

The seller was completely irresponsible in the manner of how this was all handled- - but it doesn't necessarily been he sent you a sick goat. I could go on about how it infuriates me that this seller wouldn't educate a newbie :somad but you don't need this right now.

I wean my nigies at 8 weeks, other breeds stay on longer. Seeing how this baby has already been underfed I'd leave him on for at least 12 weeks.

DO NOT increase the replacer until his system can adjust. The shock and abrupt change could have very well been responsible for the loss of the other kid :(

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score

A two week old kid can very well have cocci, but it would be very unlikely for the kid to die within hours of arriving home from cocci. It wouldn't have had time to "build up" so to speak and kill the kid that quickly. A necropsy is a must.

This very could have been the switch in milk replacer. THAT can kill a kid easily and in the timeframe you gave. Seeing how he got worse after the bottle that would be in indicator. I would be loading this kid up with probiotics and possible B complex injections as well.

The seller was completely irresponsible in the manner of how this was all handled- - but it doesn't necessarily been he sent you a sick goat. I could go on about how it infuriates me that this seller wouldn't educate a newbie :somad but you don't need this right now.

I wean my nigies at 8 weeks, other breeds stay on longer. Seeing how this baby has already been underfed I'd leave him on for at least 12 weeks.

DO NOT increase the replacer until his system can adjust. The shock and abrupt change could have very well been responsible for the loss of the other kid :(

x2

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree that he is probably too young for cocci, but if he 2-3 weeks he is right on the line, at least from what I have observed in my herd. But that being said, I do agree that it was quite possibly the change in feed. I would increase the bottles slowly, add in the third bottle if you can but just give him 1/2 a bottle and then slowly add a little more each time. He definitely needs to be taking about 12-16 oz. of milk 3 x a day at 3 weeks of age.

pigeongirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I agree that he is probably too young for cocci, but if he 2-3 weeks he is right on the line, at least from what I have observed in my herd. But that being said, I do agree that it was quite possibly the change in feed. I would increase the bottles slowly, add in the third bottle if you can but just give him 1/2 a bottle and then slowly add a little more each time. He definitely needs to be taking about 12-16 oz. of milk 3 x a day at 3 weeks of age.
Thank you The goat that is still living will not drink more than 8-9 oz twice a day i try but he wont drink it i have hung the bottle and left it for a while but he will not drink any more.

pigeongirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score

Thank you I have been trying to ge ahold of our vet i called yesterday and she is suppose to call me back she is the only vet within hours that will even look at goat let alone treat them

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hesitate to say this but I will. I would start transitioning him to cows milk. Slowly. Like a few ounces to the bottle and then increase it every few days. Goats just seem to do better on cows milk than they do on replacer. And he might like it better too. JMHO.

Latest posts