Goat unable to urinate

Boersandpygmy

Just born
Reaction score
Hello
My 18 month old Boer became unwell yesterday morning he was straining and unable to urinate. I phoned our vet who scanned him and said his bladder was full and he was in retention, he was rushed to the hospital where they operated to empty the bladder and insert a Foley catheter.

prior to surgery he was x rayed where they could not find any stones nor could they find any stones during surgery and they currently are not sure why he has been unable to urinate. I lost a goat before to Urinary Calculi so non of my boys are on any grain, they are giving dried grass and hay and veg and I ensure they always have access to fresh water etc

I have absolutely no idea what has caused this and if I’ve been doing something wrong in the management of him that has caused this. The vet said it could be something neurological but as of yet they are not sure:

im absolutely devastated he is my pet and I can’t bear the thought of loosing him. Sadly though if he doesn’t urinate on his own I think he will have to be put down. I just wondered if anybody had any advice or help or knows if they can’t find any stones what could have caused this.