Goat Weak Legs, Not Off Feed

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So I need some thoughts as I can't figure out what is wrong with my goat. She is pregnant and due Feb 20th. She looks big, bigger than last year when she gave birth to two kids, and I wouldn't be surprised if she had triplets.

About a week ago, I noticed that she was dragging/had a stiff back right leg and her front right leg would also stumble a little sometimes. She is fed about a cup of grain twice a day, free choice mineral, bermuda hay, and I was giving alfalfa pellets once a day. Good appetite, normal temp, eyelids look good. I considered the possibility of meningeal worm since she has been itchy for a month or so previously. The main reason for me to discount this is that we have a camera in our barn and noticed that the night previous to me noticing she was dragging her foot, she jumped off the milk stand and on the camera you can see that she is dragging her foot after that (which I did not see until the next morning). Also we have plenty of coyotes in our vicinity and haven't seen any deer around for a while.

I stopped putting her on the milkstand so it wouldn't get worse, started feeding alfalfa pellets twice a day in hopes that could remedy the situation and gave her some Replemin as well. I didn't think it was getting better or worse, but today morning she stumbled, fell down, and couldn't get up. When she walks she is significantly slower than yesterday.

If injury: what can I do to help her recover? I think if it was an injury, her weight is preventing form recovering and probably putting more strain on her feet.

I also considered the possibility of toxemia. However she hasn't lost any appetite and still gobbles down everything I give her. Is toxemia still possible? What should I do to get her back on her feet if this is the case?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Update: She got back up, with difficulty but by herself when I went down again. I took her outside and she walked very slowly. She is not lifting either foot on her right side off the ground properly, which is why she is stumbling. Her left side is unaffected. I've given her some molasses water, more alfalfa, some grain, and 2 tums.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Only one side is affected? Could she have had a stroke?

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Are her legs stiff if you try to bend them? Any swelling in the joints? Hot to the touch? What’s her temperature?

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Is there any way you could get her on steroids? It might help with the swelling, and should help the babies develop faster if she goes into labor pre-term. Definitely something to ask the vet about because I’m no expert and it could do more harm than good. Just a thought.

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Only one side is affected? Could she have had a stroke?
Yes only one side... she is lifting her feet on the other side just fine. I don't see any issues on her face; no droopy eyes or mouth.

Are her legs stiff if you try to bend them? Any swelling in the joints? Hot to the touch? What’s her temperature?

Legs are not stiff although if I bend them they sometimes make a sound like cracking knuckles. Joints are not visibly swollen or hot to the touch. Last I checked her temp was 102ish... will have to check again next time I go down to the barn.

Is there any way you could get her on steroids? It might help with the swelling, and should help the babies develop faster if she goes into labor pre-term. Definitely something to ask the vet about because I’m no expert and it could do more harm than good. Just a thought.

I did not know this was an option; vet suggested it could be toxemia or meningeal and said to give panacur if we wanted to treat for meningeal. I hesitated to give her so much wormer though because she's pregnant and due so soon... last year her kidding was a little difficult too. Her being pregnant complicates things; otherwise I would've just treated for meningeal...

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes only one side... she is lifting her feet on the other side just fine. I don't see any issues on her face; no droopy eyes or mouth.

Legs are not stiff although if I bend them they sometimes make a sound like cracking knuckles. Joints are not visibly swollen or hot to the touch. Last I checked her temp was 102ish... will have to check again next time I go down to the barn.

I did not know this was an option; vet suggested it could be toxemia or meningeal and said to give panacur if we wanted to treat for meningeal. I hesitated to give her so much wormer though because she's pregnant and due so soon... last year her kidding was a little difficult too. Her being pregnant complicates things; otherwise I would've just treated for meningeal...
Pregnancy definitely makes it harder. And if it is parasites or infection steroids might make it worse. I just know In humans it is common practice to give steroids for possible premies and wondered if livestock was the same. It kind of sounds like a stroke to me, sometimes animals don’t show it on their face like we would. Honestly you have me stumped, but I wish you the best and hope she gets better.

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Pregnancy definitely makes it harder. And if it is parasites or infection steroids might make it worse. I just know In humans it is common practice to give steroids for possible premies and wondered if livestock was the same. It kind of sounds like a stroke to me, sometimes animals don’t show it on their face like we would. Honestly you have me stumped, but I wish you the best and hope she gets better.

Thank you so much for your thoughts though. I've decided to go ahead and treat for meningeal worm with Panacur. I'm also trying to get some CMPK incase it is toxemia. Hopefully she doesn't go down

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That’s a lot on the system, (I'm hoping it works for you!) make sure to keep her warm and with good food so her body has as little to deal with as possible. Good luck.