Goat Weak Legs, Not Off Feed

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She's not really better or worse, still dragging her 2 right feet when she walks. Other two feet are just fine, everything else she's acting perfectly happy. She can't pick herself up when she falls but with a little help can get back on her feet. It's pretty cold where we are too so her temp was a bit low but nothing significantly less than the others; we have a sheet wrapped around her as well to help us lift her, so that keeps her warm. Been giving Panacur once a day along with CMPK, b vitamins, and molasses/corn syrup water. Can't rule out the possibility that it's just everything at once either :th She's got 20 days to her due date so hopefully she can pull through by then or at least be able to get up and sit down by herself.

On a side note: is it possible to overdose on CMPK? I can't tell if its making a difference and I don't want to overdo it. She's getting 30 cc twice a day right now.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
She's not really better or worse
Well... not worse is a good thing... not as good as better... but way better than worse.
On a side note: is it possible to overdose on CMPK?
Huh... no idea... no info on the label? Sometimes the place you bought it from has a link on the item buy page that let's you look at a bigger info sheet.

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Good bad news; did ketocheck today and it seems positive (there's no comparison on the bottle). At least I know what to treat for now! I'm glad I gave her straight corn syrup tonight when I went down to see her earlier.

She still has a voracious appetite (we also got some peanut hay which everyones been happily devouring) and very bright eyes, alert overall. Toxemia makes sense because I changed their feeding routine from last year which has less alfalfa. But symptom-wise, she's only got the weakness of the legs to point to it. I'm thinking I'll give the CMPK to my two other pregnant does, just in case.

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpeg
    IMG_0547.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good bad news; did ketocheck today and it seems positive (there's no comparison on the bottle). At least I know what to treat for now! I'm glad I gave her straight corn syrup tonight when I went down to see her earlier.

She still has a voracious appetite (we also got some peanut hay which everyones been happily devouring) and very bright eyes, alert overall. Toxemia makes sense because I changed their feeding routine from last year which has less alfalfa. But symptom-wise, she's only got the weakness of the legs to point to it. I'm thinking I'll give the CMPK to my two other pregnant does, just in case.
Well, knowing what is going on sure helps a bunch!

:fl Hope things start to turn around now that you know what is going on.

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Maybe I'm expecting too much too fast, but she doesn't seem better; maybe worse. It seems like her back right pasterns are weak and sometimes she's putting them nearly flat on the ground :\ (Hopefully its not laminitis?) I couldn't get a good picture. Thankfully she can still walk even though slowly (she gets real fast if I shake the grain bucket though) but she also fell a few times today; I'm worried for her kids, especially if there's triplets packed in there. We're going to see if we can hook up a sling to keep her up and not falling.

If I could just get her to kidding...

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe I'm expecting too much too fast, but she doesn't seem better; maybe worse. It seems like her back right pasterns are weak and sometimes she's putting them nearly flat on the ground :\ (Hopefully its not laminitis?) I couldn't get a good picture. Thankfully she can still walk even though slowly (she gets real fast if I shake the grain bucket though) but she also fell a few times today; I'm worried for her kids, especially if there's triplets packed in there. We're going to see if we can hook up a sling to keep her up and not falling.

If I could just get her to kidding...
:barnie What a nightmare!!! Sorry I can't be helpful.

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yea... I wish I had just treated for toxemia when I saw her dragging that foot, even if she didn't show any other symptoms. I think she has multiple problems, all likely stemming from the hay switch I did late last year. Unfortunately can't fix past mistakes, just trying to figure out how to go from here.

I gave her banamine to see if perhaps she has some foot pain that is compounded by her weight and improper nutrition. Today night she was trying harder to get up by herself, and then after we had got her to her feet she did something very weird... She slowly sat down when I was drenching her with the cal mpk and then started rapidly kicking her back right foot in an involuntary way. Scared me real bad. After that she was perfectly fine. Dare I say her walking looked better. She seemed to start dragging her foot more the longer she was walking. Still very alert, very good appetite, temperature seems fine though I can't tell exactly what her temperature is due to the fact that she's wrapped in a towel (to help us get her up when she falls).

So pretty much still confounding me

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds more like a stroke with the right rear kicking spasmodically like that.

It is definitely possible to over dose on anything too. Dosing with different medicaments and wormers when you don't actually know what is really wrong can be dangerous.

Have your goats ben tested for CAE? The crackling in the joints sounds like it might be an arthritic condition.

Have you tried injectable Vitamin B?

If she is going into or has ketosis, you can certainly dose her for that. I would consider the possibility that her system is pulling all the calcium out of it for the kids.

I would plan to bottle feed the kids regardless. Whether she recovers or not, bottle feeding is the safest strategy and you should get formula ready now so you are prepared. You can keep the kids with her if you like hoping that she recovers.

Is this the doe that had trouble last year with her kids? You might consider culling her this season. Did you keep any doe kids of hers? If so, have they shown any similar symptoms? This could be some sort of condition that surfaces during late pregnancy or lactation.

Good luck with her kidding.

abraeri

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok... anything we can do for a stroke?

It is definitely possible to over dose on anything too. Dosing with different medicaments and wormers when you don't actually know what is really wrong can be dangerous.

This is why I waited to worm for meningeal... however our vet said we should treat and it had been a week, she wasn't getting better so we went with it.

Last edited:

Latest posts