Goat Whisperer's & SBC's kidding thread: kidding storm

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have 10 does due to kid in February!
So much to do! Need move the young bucks out of that area and powerwash the building and start prepping soon. I know the next month is going to fly by.

Ruth is due mid March and is looking huge!
Now, she always looks huge. She's a big bodied, wide doe with a profound love for food. But I can see she definitely has a load of kids. So excited.

Raina's kids were moving around today! So far she's the first doe we've seen movement on.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
:smackJK! :yuckyuck

On another note… it's gonna be COLD!
Way to cold for my liking! Just so thankful we won't be getting loads of snow (snow = mud)

Also glad we won't have goats due early January like we had originally planned.
IMG_4345.jpg

I have heated buckets for the does, so that's good. They need to stay hydrated!

Going to go through a lot of beet pulp though :hide May end up having to pick up a few more bags. Going to call our hay guy tomorrow and see if he can bring a few more round bales over :fl

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is mud season weather for sure GW. Nothing worse (OK other than ice) than the temp bouncing back and forth across the freezing line. Of course when it thaws and makes mud then freezes again, YIKES mud ice. :sick

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hay guy just dropped 2 more bales off :D
This last bale (for the does) only lasted 10 days, guess they're eating more with the colder weather.

@Bruce thankfully we don't have much mud right now, so the temps won't be too bad- if we don't get snow we will be fine. :fl

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
This cold snap hasn't been too bad! Had an issue with the heated buckets though… so they are not in use. Oh well.

I'm just glad that we haven't had any of that nasty white stuff. The sunsets have been amazing though.

Updated forecast:
IMG_4432.jpg

Got a weight on almost all the goats today, for deworming and just to track how much they've gained since being bred.

Raina is 130#, I thought she could use a little more size but after weighing her she's right where she should be.

Ruth (Nigerian) is 94#!!!
I knew she was carrying a load. I think this is the heaviest she's ever been! Can't wait to see how many kids she has.

Trouble, who isn't bred (F-1mini mancha) is 116#. I just love that doe.

Boots really surprised me. She's our smallest Nigerian was about 45# before breeding. She was the smallest of quints and is a coming two year old. She's up to 60#! :ep

I was trying to worm a few does (we'll do this prior to kidding to help prevent a bloom) and was bitten by two of that goats :tongue
I've been drenching goats for years. This was a first for me, and being bit TWICE?! :rantLucy and Boots are hormonal brats and BIT me while I was trying to deworm them! Both took a nice slice (of my hand) and drew blood.
Snots :smack:lol:

-------

Hope everyone is doing well & staying warm!

ETA: stupid spellcheck. Bit by the goats, not but. Grrr

Last edited:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think too many above the Texas state line is staying warm. :) We are running several degrees colder than you guys but it is winter.

Last edited:

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I actually don't mind these temps, as long as it isn't wet outside. The goats seem to be doing pretty good with the cold snap too.

@Mike CHS when do you guys start lambing? I've been reading your thread but don't have much time to post. Looks like y'all are making so much progress and your Akbash is looking so handsome.