Goat Whisperer's & SBC's kidding thread: kidding storm

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ruby is doing great. She had triplets on day 155

Unfortunately the third kid, a doeling, didn’t make it. It was presented upside down with only the head. SBC was able to get the kid out by repositioning it. It was a rough few minutes but Ruby is a trooper.

The 2 remaining kids are doing great. A buck and doe :)

I was shocked that she had 3. She was big enough for triplets but she’s an 8 year old doe who has only had twins up until this year.
8A921EF0-0E51-44AC-B2C2-809629FD8D46.jpeg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are! So very long 3 weeks, very tired.
I keep hopping on to see how everyone is doing and everyone's kids and lambs but then I have to either get off the computer, or brain dead and tired.

Disbudded 8 of the kids today! Wears me out so I just stopped there. Have the next 10 to do. Next week I'll do the Nubians. :th

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have some very pretty kids! All the busy comes at once, but that is better than dragging it out over a long period of time. I know y'all are tired, but you can sleep later. Go squeeze a kid!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have some very pretty kids! All the busy comes at once, but that is better than dragging it out over a long period of time. I know y'all are tired, but you can sleep later. Go squeeze a kid!

My human kids are getting the loving! A couple of the boys were here today so that was pretty awesome, DD is coming over tomorrow and I am just trying to spend a bit with the family.
Thanks Bay, we are pretty happy with our kids... but then again... babies are babies and they are all so precious.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When do you separate the buckling from their sisters? My buck is 10 days old and already mounting his sister.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
When do you separate the buckling from their sisters? My buck is 10 days old and already mounting his sister.
Nigerian Bucklings are separated by 7- 8 weeks. The doelings can cycle as early as 9 weeks, but usually start at 12 weeks. Generally we separate all bucks and does either right away or within a few weeks. We bottle feed so it is easier to just have boys in one place and girls in another.
Sadly seen too many 2-3 months old doelings get bred - not on our farm, but many others.

The Mini's and the Lamanchas are able to go later, our minis though we still remove by 8 weeks, the standard breeds 12 weeks or so. If they seem really randy then earlier.
Like I said now we just separate into groups a bit earlier. We ended up keeping a wether around (he is a sweetie) just for those times when we have a single buckling and he needs a companion. Most of the time we breed the goats in groups but sometimes we will have one that is a loner (out of our normal season) so it is nice to have a companion for a single goat.

I think Nigerians come out ready to mate! LOL