Goat Whisperer's & SBC's kidding thread: kidding storm

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't know how @Goat Whisperer is still standing! I have had to lay down twice today to sneak in 30 minute cat naps.

Next year we will induce Ruth. This is 2nd year in a row that she wants to do this meandering labor and then deliver middle of the night.
These are the events...
Ruthie started losing her plug around 6 pm... surely she will go soon we thought... 10pm nope, 11pm nope,12am nope,1am nope,2am nope,3am nope! We fall asleep in the family room- my son too...waiting... I guess I dozed off at 3:00am at 3:30 am GW falls asleepfrom exhaustion. I Pop up at 3:53am and she is cleaning a kid and another is coming out... we fly out the door! We are clearly not awake! See she has one cleaned,second one she is cleaning and 3rd one is now on the ground! Really Ruthie!? In 23 minutes that we were sleeping she had 3 beautiful kids! 2 does and a buck! So happy! She did great! We are really happy for the person who has first reserve on the buckling. He is stunning!
The two does are just - I don't even have words... so cool. Bobsie twins! They look like they were dipped in red... or is it black? LOL
The second we saw the red one we were both like WOW...I think GW was hoping it was a girl. Boy! He is big!
This was a repeat breeding of Ruth/Lil Joe... next year we will do repeat of Ruth/Isaac. Have loved these breedings!

Pics are not the best- did try to get a few today but just didn't work out.

Our friends came today with their tractor and got so much done out there. Moved MUD! Literally! Scraped the baby pen, scraped the front field by the barn, moved a bunch of compost and mud... we had to take fences down and move and shift goats so they could go from place to place... they were awesome. Fences back up... we have a lot more work to do but that was the first step. Of course it is going to rain again for 2 days. WE can't get a break.
Need to bring in some crush and run or something and mix that in and pack it. They we can bring dirt in for the soil erosion and replant while no goats or chickens etc is in the one area.

Had to cancel our milktest tomorrow. Our tester is sick with the flu. She sounded terrible the other day... DH dropped by and she was at the drs. Glad she went. I was pretty worried about her.

014.JPG 030.JPG Wings & Caprines Ruthie 2018 kids (2).JPG Wings & Caprines Ruthie 2018 kids (3).JPG Wings & Caprines Ruthie 2018 kids (4).JPG Wings & Caprines Ruthie 2018 kids (5).JPG 043.JPG 044.JPG 045.JPG

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had to cancel our milktest tomorrow. Our tester is sick with the flu. She sounded terrible the other day... DH dropped by and she was at the drs. Glad she went. I was pretty worried about her.
Bad luck, end of the flu season and she has to get it just when we think we are out of the woods :(

Don't know how @Goat Whisperer is still standing! I have had to lay down twice today to sneak in 30 minute cat naps.
Could be that GW is a wee bit younger than you. Youth comes with more stamina. We USED to have it, remember?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thought I'd stop in and update at least the kidding thread... we are screaming busy still.
Charlotte (lamancha) kidded today... Jane(lamancha bred for minis) is also due and any day now. Prynne (lamancha)at the end of the month and a break til the next 6 in June.

Charlotte had a single buck, and I must say I am pretty happy about it. Glad for the single honestly -we have already decided on some of the does we are retaining so this made it much easier!
I will admit this is the first buck we have had on the farm that within the first hour we could clearly see just what a nice breeding this was. We took a gamble and bred Charlotte to Charlie.. we know his pedigree fairly well but it was still a "hmm wait and see". We are co-raising this buckling.
Wings & Caprines Charlotte Bronte' buckling kid FF2YO (1).JPG

Wings & Caprines Charlotte Bronte' buckling kid FF2YO (2).JPG

Wings & Caprines Charlotte Bronte' buckling kid FF2YO (3).JPG

Wings & Caprines Charlotte Bronte' buckling kid FF2YO (4).JPG

Wings & Caprines Charlotte Bronte' buckling kid FF2YO (5).JPG

Wings & Caprines Charlotte Bronte' buckling kid FF2YO (6).JPG

Wings & Caprines Charlotte Bronte' buckling kid FF2YO (7).JPG