Goat Whisperer's & SBC's kidding thread: kidding storm

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Feel free to share any pics you are ok with
I already said that your family helped haul me out of the ditch on the first night
Rachel had no interest in showing goats this weekend so very happy that we had the help of your DD Little Bit and @Goat Whisperer who have the enthusiasm
I really want to thank you
I don't think you know what a blessing this was for our family
Aw that is sweet. I think the feeling is mutual.
We were talking about the show tonight when out with the goats.
They like hanging with you and the fam. They have fun with yall.
We were also talking about all the hard work you guys have put in and it is really nice to see what you guys have accomplished in a short time.
You really should be proud.

I will say now I know why everyone says pick ONE breed!
With 5 it really is hard. We really cannot keep enough of any one breed to really develop them... well we can but it will just take a long time because of the limit we have to keep.
I just cannot give up the others.

I told little Bit and GW that maybe DH and I will go on a date and take 3-4 animals to Sandhills and show them. :lol:
They can stay here for kid watch and I will get to go to a show. :)

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
awwww are those nubie babies cute or what. congrats. and ruby looks great. ya know if ya trim off those big ole' ears up close to their head 1. you'd have another pair of lamanchas and 2. you could deep fry them for a treat. ok, ok i'm just joking!! no hate mail please. seriously they look really nice.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

I am still amazed that I have really fallen for that roman nose and long floppy ears. I think it really has a lot to do with Ruby. She just is such a special goat. She is quiet as mouse.
So funny!

@goatgurl Jane is due in as little as 6 days! We bred her at almost 13 months- the only yearling we bred. She was big and we felt ok with it. Sooooo more Lamanchas! :weee

Still a little miffed I didn't know you were selling any of yours. I forgive you though! :p

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The little Nubians are doing great. My favorite part on the doeling is her neck... it is that pretty tan, like her spots. @samssimonsays it reminds me of your little doe! I :love your doelings coloring!
She is such a pretty thing! You just don't see that coloring often and I love it!

We picked up our little mini mancha girl after the show.
This is out of the doe we sold, we are so blessed to get a doeling back out of her! She looks so much like her momma and grandma.

She is one week old here.
006.JPG

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like this lil guy... everytime I look out in the field he is standing just so pretty and natural. Really like his topline, rear width, and length. Of course after clipping today he didn't want to cooperate too much. He is always following us and never on lead so he was fighting it. I snapped a few when he went back to his field and he was peeing. :D I like this little guy.

Wings & Caprines IL Seth 14 weeks
Wings & Caprines IL Seth  14 weeks (1).JPG

Wings & Caprines IL Seth  14 weeks (4).JPG

@OneFineAcre Lucy is the dam- Isaac is his sire.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yay and Congratulations. Lovely kids.

I hear you on having more than one breed. We only have 2 breeds(and 1 75% grade- so she shows in a breed separate from her 87.5% American Lamancha daughter). It makes it harder to have groups and we might retain 3 does this year- but that's only one Nigerian and two LMs. I'm pretty much at my limit milking 12 every day so I've told my daughter she's going to have to part with a senior at some point. She's got 5 LMs milking this year. It will be a hard decision.

It's also a total crazy mess at 3 ring shows that have three breeds going at once. This year she brought just LMs and her one grade and I ended up showing the grade 2/3 of the time because she was in the ring with her two LMs. That's when we left all the NDs at home.

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today we cleaned out Ruby's kidding stall in preparation for JANE! :weee

Jane's day 145 is on the 6th. I don't think she will kid then but want to be prepared.
Ruby is in the field part time and in another stall with her kids part time.

The two Nubians are with the new Mini mancha. They are the three amigos! So cute together, 2 long eareds and a no eared. :D

Clipped Jane down today. She needed that long wispy hair gone and ready for kidding.

DH did repairs on the van so he could travel to the next show.

Yay and Congratulations. Lovely kids.

I hear you on having more than one breed. We only have 2 breeds(and 1 75% grade- so she shows in a breed separate from her 87.5% American Lamancha daughter). It makes it harder to have groups and we might retain 3 does this year- but that's only one Nigerian and two LMs. I'm pretty much at my limit milking 12 every day so I've told my daughter she's going to have to part with a senior at some point. She's got 5 LMs milking this year. It will be a hard decision.

It's also a total crazy mess at 3 ring shows that have three breeds going at once. This year she brought just LMs and her one grade and I ended up showing the grade 2/3 of the time because she was in the ring with her two LMs. That's when we left all the NDs at home.
I am having a hard time with this as well. We have two grade does out of Millie that is a NOA. This two does are a year apart and we will breed up but eventually I don't want to keep them but rather keep their offspring. The thing is someone (big family here) gets really attached and then it's like how can we place so and so... they've been with us so long. Millie will retires after this year. I have another doe retired already. I need to keep so many to see what the bucks are doing and what to tweak. I need another LM buck... I am seriously thinking of AI'ing this year. We have a bajillion Nigies too. But we want to see those FF udders before we make cuts. UGH.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like this lil guy... everytime I look out in the field he is standing just so pretty and natural. Really like his topline, rear width, and length. Of course after clipping today he didn't want to cooperate too much. He is always following us and never on lead so he was fighting it. I snapped a few when he went back to his field and he was peeing. :D I like this little guy.

Wings & Caprines IL Seth 14 weeks
View attachment 35458

View attachment 35459

@OneFineAcre Lucy is the dam- Isaac is his sire.

He's Purdy.
Nice level rump.