Goat Whisperer's & SBC's kidding thread: kidding storm

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just keep reading that I can't have my chickens and turkeys together as the chickens will carry blackhead and the turkeys will die. I can't find any information regarding the likely hood of the chickens actually carrying blackhead. It seems that there are some drugs that can be used as a preventative but guess what...VFD.

We have a tom turkey who I believe thinks he is a chicken. That is all he has known since he was a little. We have had no problems thus far, and it's been probably close to 4 years with him. I did have a problem for awhile of him trying to mount my hens, actually crushed 1 to death. After he got through that hormonal mess, we've been ok. We try and let him free range, but he'd rather say in their run and coop with them at night. He's a pet, never though of him for slaughter. Wish I could get more, but right now 1 is enough.

casportpony

True BYH Addict
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I figured I would buy 6 and hope for 1. Hopefully it will go into the coop at night or it probably won't be long for this world. I don't worm my chickens and I read that blackhead is passed through worms. I suppose I should worm them but I never wanted to mess with the egg withdrawal times. *SIGH*

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great Chart!

In all the years I have had poultry we wormed 2x ever and never had any issues whatsoever.
Considering we have had over a 1000 birds that is pretty good. Keeping 250+ as breeders. Free range IMO makes a big difference.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
OMGosh y'all it says it's gonna get down to 1 degree :eek:

Crazy for NC.

No way I could live up north.

Our old hay guy has hay again!!!!
Dropped off a round bale today :woot
The price is :woot:woot:woot:woot:love:bow:celebrate

Most will be used for bedding.

Gonna put a few of the old, favorite bantams in a a plastic dog crate and bring them in. I don't think they'll survive if we don't.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that plan will pretty much guarantee you somehow end up with 7

Isn't that the truth. I have been wanting to raise a turkey for a long time but really worried about them living with the chickens. I hate to set any creature up for a certain death, at least not before its time.

@casportpony do you know if there is any preventive meds for Blackhead? Legal or not in meat animals, I just want to know if there is one. Also, how prevalent do you think it is in CA?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
We were warned several times about the risk of BH before we got our first turkeys.
Got them anyway and haven't had any issues.

Latest posts