Goat with cold symptoms???

ThornyRidge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So as if I am not still mourning the loss of Tink, I now have a wether who seems like maybe he has a cold. The weather here in NE Ohio has been ridiculous! Last night;s temp was -1 and in my barn it is hovering around 18-20 degrees. OUtside temp is a whopping 7 but gee the sun is out. Anyway his symptoms only include the following: clear runny nose (but hard to tell if it is actually runny because of cold all have some clear snot) eyes seem clear and no discharge. I have heard him cough a couple times ( not all the time) he is off/depressed. ate hay last night, not much appetite this morning. Seems to have some congested breathing. no fever at this time.. will monitor this.. but anyway I gave him a couple chewable vitamin c tablets, some probios paste and some vit a,d,e, b12 gel. I went to drug store to check out children's cold medicines and found these and bought.. I have not yet given them to him because I don't know if I should and if so how much.. he is at least 85-95 lbs. I bought Children's Dimetapp Cold and Cough liquid.. it contains Brompheniramine maleate 1 mg (antihistimine), dextromethorphan HBr 5 mg (Cough Suppressent); and Phenlyephrine HCl 2.5 mg (Nasal Decongestant) all this included ina 5 ml tsp. The other stuff I bought was Children's Plus Multi Symptom Cold which includes the following: Acetaminophin 160 mg (pain reliever/fever reducer), chorphneiramine maleate, 1 mg antihistimine, dextromethorphan HBr 5 mg cough suppressant and Phenlyphrine Hcl 2.5 mg nasal decongestant.. again all in a 5 ml tsp. anyone have any suggestions for him.. all the goats look so miserable because of cold.. all are shivering and fluffed out.. he is the one I am most concerned with.. as far as antibiotics all I have on hand is penic procaine g..left over from Tink. oh and I did smear some generic vicks vaporub on his nose.. now it seems his breathing is louder and more noticeable.. not sure because of that odor around his nose i can hear him breathing after doing that..

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I haven't used the children's medicine before so I would be more apt to use the Penicllin for animals. I hope your guy is ok.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I can sure sympathize with you. My little spotted Nubian Annie has pneumonia, I'm sure because she was diagnosed up at OSU large animal hospital. I took her up there last fall for 10 days, no I won't tell you how enormous the bill was, DH thought I was CRAZY.

I got Nuflor from my local vet and gave it to her for several days in a row. Nothing, zip, nada. She still has the pneumona, her nose is always runny and she snots and snorts all the time.

I keep "vicks" on her nose all the time. She is very well conditioned, no other symptoms except she does have that snotty nose all the time.

I had to accept that I had a goat with pneumonia. I am hoping she's bred, she's been exposed to a buck.

My vet said I just have to accept that she's a "lunger" and keep her comfortable and well fed, in a good barn and live with the situation.

None of my other goats have it. I think Annie got it the summer after she was born (she's 2 now) because the weather here was really damp and rainy all that year.

You can have blood test run, but it is expensive. You can try the Nuflor and see if it helps your goat.

I hope this info helps.

DonnaBelle

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Please don't use the human cold meds. Nuflor or Naxcel are choice respiratory meds, but Pen G would work in a pinch...better than nothing.

I'd also try some children's benadryl...

Donna - that's not so uncommon in Nubians, from what my vet says. Has to do with the roman nose and smaller nostrils. My Loira doe is more sensitive to cold and wet weather than the others, but has luckily never developed a URI...just gets a little nasal congestion with weather changes.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A fellow with about 25-30 goats down the road from us got rid of his Nubians because he couldn't keep them alive here he said.

He moved up here from hotter, and much dryer West Texas.

He now has the Kiko's which seems to be the meat goat of choice around here.

I'm not raising goats to make money or to sell. I just want to have them, they're my retirement hobby, and besides I've fallen in love with them all.

DonnaBelle

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
DonnaBelle said:
A fellow with about 25-30 goats down the road from us got rid of his Nubians because he couldn't keep them alive here he said. He moved up here from hotter, and much dryer West Texas. DonnaBelle
We have had just the opposite experience. We purchased a group of mature Nubian does from southern Texas years back and brought them to Southern Idaho. Our large dairy barn gets below freezing at night through most of the winter, but they did fine. Same with the Kastdemur bottle babies we picked up in California. No problem at all with the change in climate. :)

ThornyRidge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
any specific children's benadryl? like to treat what specifically? there seem to be like 5 of each brand with different symptoms and such.. anyway will get ahold of my vet but won't be able to get any of the prescription stuff until monday.. this always happens on weekends..

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Just regular old liquid benadryl...will help with congestion (swelling of nasal passages) and, if it's allergies, will obviously help that too. The clear snot makes me think it might be dust, etc.

Of COURSE it happens on the weekend! :/

ThornyRidge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
got call into my vet.. not sure I can get him or anything cause I think I am dealing with pneumonia or something more significant than cold.. has a fever now and while messing around with him got him on a coughing spell that sounded like a fluidy type cough.. from chest area.. plus not sure this means anything but his breath smells awful.. like almost how when we are really sick our breath smells.. I am gonna go get some benedryl.. guess it won't hurt and also I did sq him with some penicillin. he is nibbling grain and eats cookies.. outside of that I am not mentally prepared for this.. got him separate in stall he is not happy about that and put the fleece coat on ( a little small but covers his back and fastens around his neck. guess I will keep up with the penicillin until I can figure something out or Monday rolls around and I can get a different antibiotic.. I don't have any on hand but what about biomycin? I hate to use la 200 because of sting,, if it is better than pen I guess I could go sock 20 bux in a bottle from tsc but I know it is a real stinger.. and because of this goats size and strength I can only manage sq shots withhim.. I have no helper at this time to restrain..what about some children's ibuprofen? would that help at all.. I think I still have some banamine down stairs in fridge I could do some of that..

Latest posts