Goat with diarrhea, HELP!

Wilbur 330

Just born
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I could use some help. I have a small group of goats, just as pets, but recently I'm having some major concerns.
I have a goat who is 9 years old, alpine, wethered. This past summer he was diagnosed with cancer, a thymoma or lymphoma (further testing would have to be done to know exactly which one). He was given weeks to a month to live but almost three months later he's still doing pretty good....up until recently that is. A few days ago he began having severe watery diarrhea. He is still perky and does eat about as well as usual, so I'm unsure what caused the sudden diarrhea. I thought perhaps it was the treats I was giving him (bread, carrots, or a little bit of birdseed at night with his supplements and medication (for his joints- glucosamine, msm, and aspirin for pain) but even after discontinuing them he still has persistent watery stools. He has started to look skinnier but is still perky, alert, and eats his hay well. None of the other goats are having this problem.
I dewormed as usual, thinking that parasites could be the cause.
I have electrolytes for him, probiotics, and even Kaolin Pectin but nothing seems to be helping even a little bit. Is there something more I could do? Is is possibly the cancer progressing?
Any advice is appreciated!!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could be the cancer, :idunno
pepto bismol, may help with the watery stool, hay , fresh water, and lots of :hugs:hugs:hugs
I wouldn't give him any more treats , unless the carrots really make him happy.....goats sometimes just act normal until they surprise us and die, his cancer very well may be the cause of they diarrhea. Poor little fellow, he is lucky he has had a home with you . Wishing you the best , and I hope the pepto works for him, you could also give him some electrolytes to keep him from dehydration, and some B12 liquid, power punch, red cell or just keep him comfortable :hugs

Wilbur 330

Just born
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling it's related to the cancer too. He has been getting the kaolin pectin (anti-diarrheal) and unfortunately it hasn't worked too well. I try to limit the treats but I have to sneak him a few especially after he gets the not so good tasting meds. We have been giving goat electrolytes which he has been drinking. I do have power punch I could give him and definitely will look into the red cell and B12. If he is still bad tomorrow I think I'm going to run a sample to the vets just to make sure it's not bacteria or parasite related (I don't think it is but you never can be sure). He definitely gets plenty of love and I just want him to stay happy for as long as possible. The goats are like my children so this is pretty rough. Thanks for your help!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling it's related to the cancer too. He has been getting the kaolin pectin (anti-diarrheal) and unfortunately it hasn't worked too well. I try to limit the treats but I have to sneak him a few especially after he gets the not so good tasting meds. We have been giving goat electrolytes which he has been drinking. I do have power punch I could give him and definitely will look into the red cell and B12. If he is still bad tomorrow I think I'm going to run a sample to the vets just to make sure it's not bacteria or parasite related (I don't think it is but you never can be sure). He definitely gets plenty of love and I just want him to stay happy for as long as possible. The goats are like my children so this is pretty rough. Thanks for your help!

Completly understand :hugsand I really feel for you. You are doing the best that you can and are caring for him
better han many people would do under the circumstances. Hope it is bacterial and you can get him some relief. So sorry you are going through this trying time :hugs

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Wilbur 330

I see this is from a few weeks ago....

How is your goat? Were you able to get a fecal done?

I feel for you and your wether. I have a doe with a huge tumor, my first goat ever, the reason I got addicted in the first place! I know her time is limited, but as long as she is comfortable and happy, I will do what I can for her.

:hugs