Goat with dry skin -4H show coming up

KBS

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi all.

My DS's 4H show is next week so we washed and clipped the girls this past weekend. We have one doe that looked fine once she was washed and shaved, but has since developed dry flaky skin over her entire torso area - like dandruff. Unfortunately she is a dark colored goat so it really shows up. We have tried just brushing her, but it keeps coming back. She does not seem to be bothered by it, but looks horrible for the upcoming show. We have to drop her off at the fairgrounds on Sat, show is next Friday. So I have a week to get her straightened back out. She has been washed in the past, but this was the first time we clipped her. We used Winner's Brand Coconut Livestock Shampoo to wash her. Clippers and blades are brand new. She was completely dry when clipped. She is a Nigerian Dwarf it that helps.

Any ideas as to what to use on her to moisturize the skin? Since she is going to be stuck in a small cage at the fairgrounds, it has to be something that doesn't attract flys. I am hoping some of you that show may have run into this issue in the past and have some helpful hints for me.

Thanks in advance!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did she get sunburned?

I had two Nigerian dwarf Jr does get sunburned this spring. Poor girls were like crispy bacon! I was putting sunblock on them, and moved them to a predominately shaded pen, but it was too late. :(

I ended up putting udder balm on them. Took the tube and squeezed it along their back, and used a very soft brush to work it down to the skin. It helped a lot.
This is what I used: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ideal-animal-health-udder-balm-4-oz?cm_vc=-10005

A week or so later, both does went GCH (2 different rings- ADGA show) They still had a few flakes, but it wasn’t very bad.

She might need to be lightly bathed before being shown. It depends how much lotion is absorbed.

KBS

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I didn't think about the sun - poor girl. She doesn't seem bothered if we touch it, like it is sore or anything. Just looks really bad. At least at the fair she will be in the building most of the time and out of the sun. I will pick up some udder balm tonight and try using that. :)

Athena2344

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I didn't think about the sun - poor girl. She doesn't seem bothered if we touch it, like it is sore or anything. Just looks really bad. At least at the fair she will be in the building most of the time and out of the sun. I will pick up some udder balm tonight and try using that. :)
It may be that her skin just doesn't have enough natural oils in it, it can be caused by over bathing. I used weavers goat and lamb conditioner on my wether doe last year. I would shave, bathe then spray her down with that. She never flaked or anything. And if your does horns and hooves look a little beat up, get vitamin e capsules, break them open and smear it all over her horns and hooves. It also helps to darken them and make them shiny. You can then let the goat eat the empty capsule and residue in it.