Goat with milk dripping from where her teat should be!

sunnygoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I got a call from a friend who just purchased an Alpine doe from an auction. I told him I would post this question for him.
When he got home he noticed that one of her teats was missing. There is a hole big enough to put a pinky finger in. He doesn't know if this happened before he got her or after she got to his farm. When she gets active (runs around a little) there is milk that is leaking from the hole where the teat should be. This is what we know about her:

She kidded at least 4 months ago.
First time freshener.
She's acting normally - eating, drinking and active.
She doesn't appear to be in pain when he messes with it and she doesn't pay any attention to it at all.
He says that the other teat does not appear to be full, red or hot, although he said that he doesn't really know what he's looking for.

I haven't had a chance to actually see her myself but hope to get over there within the next couple of days. I told him to keep her quiet (hoping that whatever needs to heal has time to heal) and that he should never breed her again.
Does anyone have any ideas about what is causing this or what he should do?

PattiXmas

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think I would take her to a vet. If she has a hole where her teat was at, something must have happened and it might need to be "stitched" up. Also, the risk of infection or maggots getting in there would be pretty high. Definitely suggest getting her to a vet ASAP.