Goat with Swollen, Bumpy Nose - What's wrong?

CassyKay

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Our Nigerian goat has developed this really swollen, bumpy nose. We aren't sure what is causing it and neither does our breeder. Any ideas about what could be wrong?

The first three pictures are from last Wednesday. The last picture is how she looks today (Monday) and it's definitely not better. We're worried that it could be swollen enough to impact her breathing. The other two goats living with her aren't having this problem.

IMG_5710.JPG
IMG_5708.JPG
IMG_5707.JPG

Yesterday's picture. I need to get another front picture today because it looks different from the last head-on picture.
IMG_5709.JPG

Last edited:

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would if I were you, contact a vet and get in touch with them and have them come out a look at her, my opinion is that she may have ORF or sore mouth. This is very contagious to humans and other goats, when handling that goat I would separate her from the herd and I recommend that you should wear gloves, pants, and a long sleeve shirt. Something to protect you from it. If she does have ORF and it gets into a cut of yours of some sort you are now infected with it.

So separate her from the herd, have the vet check everybody and I would if I were you have the vet's opinion to see if you should treat the whole herd. Contact the vet immediately!!!

Please update us with information!

CassyKay

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would if I were you, contact a vet and get in touch with them and have them come out a look at her, my opinion is that she may have ORF or sore mouth. This is very contagious to humans and other goats, when handling that goat I would separate her from the herd and I recommend that you should wear gloves, pants, and a long sleeve shirt. Something to protect you from it. If she does have ORF and it gets into a cut of yours of some sort you are now infected with it.

So separate her from the herd, have the vet check everybody and I would if I were you have the vet's opinion to see if you should treat the whole herd. Contact the vet immediately!!!

Please update us with information!
Thanks. We will definitely look into it and be careful. We have a vet we can contact. What would treatment be like?

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks. We will definitely look into it and be careful. We have a vet we can contact. What would treatment be like?
It would be whatever the source is, antibiotics are what I got when my doe had this. The vet gave me an antibiotic treatment for her.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately there is no treatment for orf. It is a virus. If that's what it is it will pop up in your goats forever. A vet diagnosis would be nice in case it's something else.

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Unfortunately there is no treatment for orf. It is a virus. If that's what it is it will pop up in your goats forever. A vet diagnosis would be nice in case it's something else.
Yes, I agree with you rachels.haven

But there is something that the vet gave me for when one of my does have it, it was to "get rid of it" something to like get it off the goat but it will stay on your property for a while.

I am just saying this if what your goat has is ORF, please let us know what your vet has said

@CassyKay are you quarantining your doe and using the safety precautions that I have told you just in case this is ORF? Not trying to be the boss of you or anyone but just being safe and letting you know!

CassyKay

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with you rachels.haven

But there is something that the vet gave me for when one of my does have it, it was to "get rid of it" something to like get it off the goat but it will stay on your property for a while.

I am just saying this if what your goat has is ORF, please let us know what your vet has said

@CassyKay are you quarantining your doe and using the safety precautions that I have told you just in case this is ORF? Not trying to be the boss of you or anyone but just being safe and letting you know!
We are treating it as if she has ORF at this point, until we get a diagnosis from our vet. She has us sending in more details and pictures while she does some research for us.
Considering that ORF is viral, the antibiotics would be used to prevent or treat a secondary bacterial infection in the skin which is a common practice. I will update when we hear back from her.

Latest posts